Listary 6 Beta 🎉

As I stated here earlier in this thread, there is only one developer and he has been pulled to work on a long-term project. Most likely, he has no time to work on this currently.

I should mention that Listary 5 has continued to work for me on Windows 10. Honestly it is more stable than the 6 beta for me.

The statement of “but now it’s finish” has no validity, because everyone in this thread is basing their experience with Listary on the BETA.

The current 6 beta doesn’t even have all the features in Listary 5 ported yet. It was incomplete 2 years ago and that’s why it still is today. Try using the Listary 5 stable. I’ve recommended this software to a few others, even on Windows 11, and it works fine.

I have looked into Fluent Search, but I find Listary to work better for my uses. Listary even plugs into other software that use Windows Shell explorer (the built-in file management backend for Windows) commands to view files, so I can do things like search through the Skyrim plugin list in CreationKit and it will auto-scroll to the items it finds. This would not be possible with Fluent Search, nor do I think it’s the direction their software is going on a long-term basis. Listary doesn’t need a plugin for every program to do this. It just works because of its design philosophy.

Tl;Dr. Try stable before you state the software is finished, because the stable works fine on Windows 11 and has more features than the beta. Beta, by nature, is incomplete software.

1 Like

good to know about version 5.
but i didnt say its finish, but when a dev didnt reply, or didnt update for 2 years, means thats its a long and long holiday ?
ok lets say that the dev is on holiday if u prefer :wink: im fine with that too.

by the way i keep fluent search for now lol, lets see when the dev will come back from his long holiday maybe we will have listary 7 alpha :wink:
++

Thanks for being understanding. If you look at my original post, I tried my best to translate the last message we heard from the author.

He stated he was pulled to handle work/research with “big data”. It’s an actual technical term for a type of data. I think this was something his position was required to do, based on how it was worded, so he may have had no choice but to spend more time on it. I hate stating assumptions here, but considering it was right after covid-19 hit, maybe that is what he is being pulled to analyze.

Regardless, there are yearly payments, and occasional maintenance he has to do to keep a website online, so it’s definitely something he has not just abandoned in my opinion. He just doesn’t have the time at the moment.

Version 5 works considerably well, so I’ll just be patiently waiting.

2 Likes

I’ve used Listary 5 and switched to Listary 6 Beta as soon as it became available. And for all the years I’ve never had any issues with it running on Windows 7 and Windows 10. And I’m on Win 10 21H2 right now. Point is - if you (not you, Drakonas, specifically, but users that are experiencing issues :slight_smile: ) have issues with Listary 6 it’s all down to your installation of Windows or the software that you are using along with it.

Please check if you have Listary integration enabled with the file browser of your choice. Go to Listary’s Options > Features > Integration, select the app that you are using and check “Enable Listary” checkbox. I’ve just checked on my setup (I’m using Directory Opus) and if checkmark is not enabled Ctrl+G functionality is not available, naturally. Restart both Listary and file browser, after changing this option, just for a good measure.

1 Like

It works, forget about the shortcut and use the menu instead

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t and I won’t forget about the shortcut. That shortcut helps me to keep my sanity during the working day! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even though development has stopped the author still has tried to sell the application with special promotional discount on bitsdujour several times.
And I think the author will keep on doing this in 2022 until nobody will purchase.

2 Likes

Well after months of bugs in Listary 6 and serious indexing bugs in Listary 5 (see my post history…), looks like Fluent Search is the best replacement: much more customizable (made it into a Listary clone for my uses!) and it properly indexes NAS SMB shares, network drives, and is frankly a pleasure to see bugs fixed.

Thanks to @Prowhiz for making the Loom videos. The open prompt <-> File Explorer feature is killer. One issue is Fluent Search doesn’t have a great database of all its features: had no idea it had that!

I will say, Fluent Search probably needs 1-2 more stable releases, but after ~30 minutes of tweaking, it’s so incredibly close and already my daily driver.

Let’s hope Listary’s dev returns alive so he may also address all the bugs & missing feature.

1 Like

@ikjadoon did you tried Everything search?
I am using Everything for index all my files (network & local drives) and listary 6 beta for launch programs and plugins (calc, cmd as admin, integration with explorer etc).
For me this combo is superb.
I have tried Fluent but it was to slow for me and eat to much resources.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I’m looking to search indexed files within the launcher. :frowning: I had tried Everything, but it’s a bit tough for my use-case: the ordering of files, the priorities, the sizes & UI, etc. However, I will keep it bookmarked and spend more time getting the prioritization correct. Thank you for the recommendation.

Everything is blazing fast.

Fluent Search does still feel a bit laggy, agreed, on first use & after rebooting. However, after subsequent, it seems to get fast, though I am on a somewhat high-end system (which makes the early slowdowns even more weird): i7-12700K CPU, 32GB DDR5-6000, and a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

I’m hopeful the next updates will bring FS back to Listary-like speed; some major beta updates (current stable is ~2 month old) and they’ve fixed a few bugs / annoyances I had with Listary (example from yesterday).

I did need to make a number tweaks to speed up the performance & the UI to make it much more streamlined: turned off animations, turned off tags & in-app search, etc. The default FS settings has delays even on a system like mine :sob:

i think u should give another try, its the version 0.9.91.31, check which one u used, but between yours and the new, there is a lot of improvement :slight_smile:

there were a bug of FS, introducing lags
now with new build, no more lags.
And yes, there are always some bugs with thousand reparator, but i think the previous update fixed that (i saw the dev answer u very fast, and the next build fix that! i never seen a dev like him, fixing things so quicky)

ok i leave the chat,
nobody is here to moderate the content

was nice to talk with all of u

bye

1 Like

Yes just got this! What a surprise. Don’t know what’s different.

我草,更新了!!有生之年啊!

1 Like

有生之年系列!

1 Like

感恩!如果有个changelog就更好了!

感谢作者的持续努力,更新来之不易啊