Listary 6 Beta šŸŽ‰

Why do you say this??

Is there any plans for this project to be continued? Or for it to become open sourced so devs can continue this project or for additional devs to be brought in on the project to help make this an ongoing product. Wox is a good alternative, but just doesnt have the potential this product has shown.

3 Likes

Totally

1 Like

The fact that the developer hasnt updated this program in a year and cannot even respond; themselves, really does indicate this should become open sourced for others to help continue this amazing project. This app has a ton of potential to become and extremely useful tool in the windows environment and needs to have developers that can attend to its development.

6 Likes

Maybe a crowdfunding to make it open source?

2 Likes

I took a look at the Chinese portion of the discussions and found this post by @Channing in April this year.

It seems he is fine. But another company he started working for was in AI, and various government departments have him busy chugging away, my guess is for research on the COVID-19 pandemic.

You can click the link for the post in Chinese as well as links to various places linked in the post. I will post a Google Translate below, but add my own remarks to what are most likely mistranslations by Google in brackets [].

Thank you for your concern. At the moment, Iā€™m fine, I havenā€™t hung up, but I donā€™t have enough time to invest in Listary :rofl: I joined an AI startup [company or research group is my guess] in the beginning of last year, mainly for the development and product implementation of some machine learning algorithms. After the outbreak of the new crown epidemic [most likely a literal translation of COVID-19] in January, the company launched intensive cooperation with various government departments, using machine learning and big data [https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/big-data/what-is-big-data.html] to assist the government in tracing, deduction, and precise prevention and control. I was specifically responsible for the research and development of some of these projects, so the time was very tight a while ago, the forum mailbox did not have time to read, I am sorry to let everyone miss [Re-translation: I did not have time to read the forum mailbox, and I am sorry to miss everyoneā€™s mail/let them sit]. The wave of updates promised years ago was also delayed by the recent situation. Now there are some new ideas about Listary, which is very delicate. The current time is still very tight, and [I] will try to take some time to achieve it.

9 Likes

Honestly, the beta release has all the functionality I need except for one feature: theming. Does anyone have a clue of how to hack my own theme into Listary? Maybe a config file somewhere or modifying the process memory directly? The default bright white box can become pretty straining on the eyes.

1 Like

Iā€™ll donate in the three-digit range in this case. Thatā€™s not even much because Listary is a life-saver 10hrs a day for me.

5 Likes

I would like to take part in that project :slight_smile: Listary is a great tool

1 Like

I just saw a Listary promotion on bitsdujourā€¦

I do not want to sound disrespectful ā€¦but running a promotion while not giving any updates about the status of listary (and halted/suspended update release).

Why run a promotionā€¦???

3 Likes

I would also support at about $100 USD.

Just saw the same thing.

So itā€™s ā€œBuy my software even though Iā€™m not working on it anymore.ā€ ???

1 Like

The funny thing is, on my system (Windows 10, started happening at least on 1909 maybe even earlier), if I try to invoke Listary 6 beta after it just started, it shows with acrylic theme (light or dark, depending on the system theme). But it switches to white theme pretty quickly. Not sure what to make of it, but I would definitely would not mind to have these options available.

I made an approved response on the bitsdujour listary promotion page, but my response didnā€™t show, reason:

The vendor specifically asked that we hide all comments. Some of the vendors feel that any question/issues about their product should be addressed to them through their regular contact places: discussion forum, product website, email address.

There where more then 500 posts made in the paste at the promotion page and that was okā€¦ and now suddenly you must ask through his ā€œregularā€ channelsā€¦ How are we suppose to do that if he doesnā€™t respond. At this point I have a feeling he is just avoiding questions about the update/response hiatusā€¦

1 Like

Listary 6 beta has been crashing just about every day for a week, at least, with this error in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Listary.exe, version: 6.0.5.16, time stamp: 0x5cd6d83d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.997, time stamp: 0x91b9349a
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a719
Faulting process id: 0x2d58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d677c274a4d926
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Listary\Listary.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 9d5ff177-b191-43ed-91e9-649a7b2d7b5c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

No other explanation and happening on two separate systems. I suspect it has to do with Windows updates: Windows is getting updated, Listaryā€™s hooks are not.

This is on Windows 10 Pro, 1909. Build 18363.1016, the latest as of August 21, 2020.

Iā€™ve uninstalled & installed (luckily, it maintained my index locations). Will update if it crashes again.

Iā€™m tired of waiting for an update for listary that would never come, so I switched to Ueli launcher. It is very nice, you can search for files with Everything, it has portable version, it is very customizable, it has some plugins, it also has versions for Windows and Mac and their updates are frequent.

More Ueli info in:
https://github.com/oliverschwendener/ueli
https://ueli.app/#/features

1 Like

For anyone still having the issue that Listary Beta is constantly crashing after a while: I am using this Software (https://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/03/04/restart-on-crash/) which automatically checks if Listary crashed and restarts it in case it did. With this fix listary beta seems perfectly usable to me.

2 Likes

Hello Guys,

i really love this app, i think its the more easy/powerfull app to search for files on pc.
i tried soooo many and none are so uselfull than this one !

But since 3/4 weeks i dont understand wht my cpu usage is so high with listary around 10/15% all the time !

do you have any idea?

thanks !

1 Like

Glad to see a new update of Listary! This app is just amazing. Because itā€™s fast - very fast! - and well integrated with the file explorers (even Directory Opus). The Windows experience wouldnā€™t be the same without this tool.

Keep up the great work guys!

Oh and yes, if we could get the dark theme back in a future update it would be awesome!

What update? Itā€™s the same 6.0 version.

1 Like