Listary 6 Beta šŸŽ‰

Let the file dialog navigate to the current folder in Explorer (with 1 stroke)

you can do that also on FS maybe itā€™s less intuitive but when u have a windows open in the explorer file, you switch back to the file dialog and it will automatically be opened in the same folder :slight_smile:

edit : i just try now, it very easy just when u do your ALT+TAB, it will switch immediately :wink:

My important functionality ist the toolbar under the save as windows
so I can choose the folder I want to safe the file.
I like the integration in the file manager ā€œTotal Commanderā€ and his function ā€œchange directory menuā€
screencast: https://streamable.com/ayvkao

kwanice. thatā€™s okay so far. but if I have many windows open (which is almost always the case), I have to press alt + tab quite often to switch to the correct explorer window. why canā€™t the ā€œactive developerā€ just use a shortcut (like ctrl + g) to jump to the last used path in the file dialog? should be relatively easy to implement .

@andyk: yes this is also an important function.

1 Like

yeah completely agree with you it can be very very very useful !
the dev is very open minded but i dont know if FS can add a layer on other windows. Maybe not the good api or whatā€¦
The dev explain me also that some API used by listary will not be compatible in the future
thats why not everyting is possible maybe im not dev so i cant tell u

@reini.f yeah i think it can very easy to implement, but im thinking also maybe it can be possible with the ā€œtasksā€ in fluentsearch, it allow us to do so many things, with script and all

By the way, the dev told me that he will focus on the bug and stability for the next build to reach the 1.0 stable release :slight_smile:
can you imagine since mayā€¦more than 100 builds of FS has been released, with everytime bug fix and new features!
So i can guess that on the version 5 or 6ā€¦FS will be an amazing app !

I can also attest to the fact that Fluent Search has come a really long way. Iā€™ve been on the beta channel after switching from Listary about 6 months ago and there are updates nearly everyday to fix bugs and add new features. Currently the app is really stable and Iā€™ve found a way to integrate it into my workflow nicely. Itā€™s no Listary Iā€™ll admit but its the closest Iā€™ve found yet. Other launchers just donā€™t measure up. The FS developer at least made efforts to fill the void left by Listary.

kwanice i used fluent search all day today. but unfortunately itā€™s just not as productive as listary for my workflow. the method with alt+tab is not bad. but if you have a lot of windows open, as written (e.g. firefox, outlook, text editor, directory opus, photoshop etc., it can be a pain). there are quite a few alt+tabs necessary to get to the right window and back again to the file selection window.
listary = alt+g in the file selection window and I have selected the current path of the explorer, no matter how many windows are still openā€¦

1 Like

yep i can udnerstand u, maybe need to find something like that, maybe with a task it will be possible to do that.
by the way, FS is different from Listary :slight_smile:

:wink: hi guy :wink:

1 Like

Fluent search is HANDS DOWN the best Listary replacement and above.

Development is happening at light speed. Come join us everyone!

2 Likes

Hello all. I am new here. I am trying listary beta and I am impressed how good he is integrated with explorer and open/save dialogs. It is probably the best integration ever.
But I noticed two things:

1. Windows 10, latest listary 6 beta - CTRL+G (switch to last folder) seems not work. Can anybody confrims because comments above are not clear for me

2. In open / save dialog I can activate listary search and find file. I usually remember filename so it is easy for me to find file. But how to pass back to the open/save dialog only path of file find in search result window???

1. Ctrl-G works fine here.
    Tested with Explorer, Total Commander and XYplorer.
    Also the current path of Explorer or Total Commander or XYplorer is displayed under the open/save dialog
    and I can click on this to change the path in the dialog without using Ctrl-G.

2. You canā€™t
    I never need it as I can search with Listary for path or filename in the dialog.

1 Like
  1. I press CTRL + Enter on the file which gets it to the folder its in.
1 Like

Agree, this has been a good replacement for me. A much more stable program under Windows 10 and 11.

Thanks!
CTRL + Enter works fine!

1 Like

Why donā€™t you either hire a programmer to complete development of Listary 6, sell it to another company, or make it open source, so it can finally be finished?!

1 Like

because since 2 years or more, no any answers or reply from the dev !

As I stated here earlier in this thread, there is only one developer and he has been pulled to work on a long-term project. Most likely, he has no time to work on this currently.

I should mention that Listary 5 has continued to work for me on Windows 10. Honestly it is more stable than the 6 beta for me.

The statement of ā€œbut now itā€™s finishā€ has no validity, because everyone in this thread is basing their experience with Listary on the BETA.

The current 6 beta doesnā€™t even have all the features in Listary 5 ported yet. It was incomplete 2 years ago and thatā€™s why it still is today. Try using the Listary 5 stable. Iā€™ve recommended this software to a few others, even on Windows 11, and it works fine.

I have looked into Fluent Search, but I find Listary to work better for my uses. Listary even plugs into other software that use Windows Shell explorer (the built-in file management backend for Windows) commands to view files, so I can do things like search through the Skyrim plugin list in CreationKit and it will auto-scroll to the items it finds. This would not be possible with Fluent Search, nor do I think itā€™s the direction their software is going on a long-term basis. Listary doesnā€™t need a plugin for every program to do this. It just works because of its design philosophy.

Tl;Dr. Try stable before you state the software is finished, because the stable works fine on Windows 11 and has more features than the beta. Beta, by nature, is incomplete software.

1 Like

good to know about version 5.
but i didnt say its finish, but when a dev didnt reply, or didnt update for 2 years, means thats its a long and long holiday ?
ok lets say that the dev is on holiday if u prefer :wink: im fine with that too.

by the way i keep fluent search for now lol, lets see when the dev will come back from his long holiday maybe we will have listary 7 alpha :wink:
++

Thanks for being understanding. If you look at my original post, I tried my best to translate the last message we heard from the author.

He stated he was pulled to handle work/research with ā€œbig dataā€. Itā€™s an actual technical term for a type of data. I think this was something his position was required to do, based on how it was worded, so he may have had no choice but to spend more time on it. I hate stating assumptions here, but considering it was right after covid-19 hit, maybe that is what he is being pulled to analyze.

Regardless, there are yearly payments, and occasional maintenance he has to do to keep a website online, so itā€™s definitely something he has not just abandoned in my opinion. He just doesnā€™t have the time at the moment.

Version 5 works considerably well, so Iā€™ll just be patiently waiting.

2 Likes