Not indexing network drive?


Listary is a GREAT tool and I cannot begin to describe how much frustration it saves me. However the last couple of months it has failed to index the network drives. I tried the beta to see if there was any difference.

When I try to add the network drive it adds it but states “Last updated: Never”. When I “Rebuild index” or “Update now” it states that it is done successfully, but it keeps saying “Last updated: Never” and I cant search in the folders.

Any ideas for work arounds?

1 Like

If you open the mapped network drive in Explorer, and then rebuild the index, does it work?

I tried and unfortunately no change. I had some success by adding a folder in the drive rather then the drive itself, but that jumps between working and not working.

I’m having a similar issue (though I haven’t seen where to see the index’s last rebuild).

I haven’t gotten network locations (a mapped network drive) working at all. All searches only include the local C:\ drive. I also opened the network drive -> clicked both “Update Index Now” and “Force Rebuild Index”: no change. Still only searching local drives.

This is all we’re supposed to do, right? Listary Pro 5.00.2843, Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (17134.1006).

EDIT: and the indexing really is just a few seconds? It’s about 1.2 TB, with roughly ~350k files. This is on a 1 Gb Ethernet connection to a Synology DS218+.


  1. First, make sure Z:\ is accessible in Explorer and other applications.
  2. 350k files could take longer and it depends on the network condition. Wait for a few minutes and try again.
  3. You could also give Listary 6 a try: Listary 6 Beta 🎉
1 Like
  1. It is, but still no go. :frowning:
  2. Ah. I gave it overnight (sleep turned off) and still nothing from network drives.
  3. This did the trick! Beta 6 is working much better w/ UNC paths!

I apologize for hijacking OP’s thread: Listary 6 Beta is working great for me. Likewise, thank you for adding the updated “Open Folder” dialog (with access to the address bar & sidebar) instead of the straight C:/ menu (perhaps from the Windows 95 era).

The old dialog (in Listary 5) forces you to use Windows neglected and most probably deprecated “Network” folder to access network files, instead of UNC paths (i.e., via the address bar & sidebar). The workaround was lengthy:

  1. You must downgrade back to SMB1, an insecure protocol
  2. You must turn on various discovery mechanisms: play with the workgroup name, etc.
  3. Alternatively, you can use “Mapped Network Drives”, which are incredibly buggy on Windows 10 especially during boot

In the end, UNC paths are the best & most reliable connection method. Thank you for the new file prompt.


Unfortunately, this bug has re-appeared even on Listary 6 Beta (6.05.16). A network drive letter cannot be indexed: it’s always “last updated: never”, even after manually updating.

Definitely accessible in Explorer (and every other application). Have waited ~7 days, nothing in searchable in there. :frowning:

Just as for you Listary 6 was stuck on “last updated: never” when I tried it. What has worked for me the last couple of months are reverting back to Listary 5, disabling that the app starts on startup. Instead I manually make sure I’m connected to all the drives (that is, making sure the icon of the drive is green and not red in the explorer. If it’s red I just need to click on it, but if I leave it red listary wont work) and then starting listary manually.

If I do it in that order, indexing and searching have been working without a hiccup.

I don’t know if its because of the peculiarities of this particular set up, but I thought I could share how I “solved” it.

1 Like

I’m having the same Issue on the latest Listary 6 Beta ( When adding a Network Drive it says “Last Updated: Never” but clicking “update now” or “rebuild Index” does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions?

1 Like

The way I made it work was what I’m describing above. Reverting to a previous version, unfortunately.

I have the same problem: It isn’t indexing network drives.
It doesn’t matter if I use the mounted drive letters or the UNC paths.

Without this functioning properly Listary is useless to me. And I just bought the Pro version for this sole reason.

Please help

Have you tried the solutions above?

The developer isn’t active in this app anymore, you wont get anymore help than that.

If that were the case I’d try the janky workaround but it seems like the app is in active development again? But thanks for the solution anyway, I might get back to that at some point.

There have been multiple updates in the last few weeks.

1 Like

So well, little update. The issue fixed itself magically, so yeah, cant tell you exactly what happened but after a few days of it not working it is now working perfectly with no additional user input from my side.

1 Like

I have been struggling with this issue for quite awhile. I believe i have either found the bug, or at least found a work around. I recently reinstalled 6 to give it another try and found that it indexed a single folder on my network share. The only difference between that folder and the rest is that the others all had the s and a flags on. I ran this in the terminal on windows

attrib -s -a <network_drive>:\*.* /s /d

And viola, Listary started indexing my network drive. I hope this can help someone else.

1 Like

Hey, can only confirm the same experience with Listary 6. In my case, it’s a “network” drive mapped via Cryptomator and WinFSP driver. Restarting Listary after boot doesn’t help, and no a/s attribs are set, so that didn’t help either. I’ll go back to Listary 5 for now, I also have the impression that Listary 5 search works better for me/provides the results I search for quicker.