Listary 6 Beta šŸŽ‰

for exampleā€¦

Direct Folders āžœ http://www.codesector.com/directfolders
Quick Access Popup 10.4.2 āžœ https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/whats-the-simplest-way-to-install-quick-access-popup/

Thank you Andy,
I used similar tools before I discovered Listary years ago. These offer access to favourites and recent files - but do they also offer folder path searching by simply starting to type, as it is possible with Listary?

Iā€™m surprised to see people praising alternative products here - at least Ueli (while looking very nice) is actually a totally different product. Such, for me can not replace Listary.

For Everything there is an add-on which supports Integration in File Open + Save Dialogs.
Everything itself beats Listary in every aspect of searching for files and folders.
Everything
Open Save Integration

Thank you for these links! Certainly interesting - but seemingly a hack on top of Everything, that requires Autohotkey and some dedication to make it run. Itā€™s author calls it a Beta himselfā€¦

Listary has had this unique browsing feature working flawlessly, out of the box. None of the Launchers discussed in this thread has this sort of system integration - they are just -well - App-Launchers, a sort of program I personally donā€™t need.

Itā€™s great, that you have found an alternative which fits your personal workflow, but Iā€™m pretty sure a lot of people chose Listary for its system
dialogue integration in particular. Maybe consider making a little less noise? The alternatives brought up for me hardly fall into the same category: I uninstalled Ueli after a minuteā€¦

I agree, there are no Listary alternative. Listary integration with system is amazing. Iā€™m using constantly synchronizing between folders, when Iā€™m switching between Open/Save dialogs, the all folders switch to the same location. I can no live without it. And serching within folder when start typing. I hope the Listary will back in the future, near future or someone writing software with the same functionality. @Channing is amazing programer, who created such pieces of good software but for now he, probalbly, has better things to do, and I ofcourse I hope he is alive and he is in good condition.

3 Likes

Hi, horst I am currently trying the Listary Beta. So far I like it. Though it is heavier than the previous version, runs fine on my modern machines. I have FastKeys, which is a frontend for autohotkey. But currently they are not interested in implementing an indexing feature like Listary or Everything. I see you listed an ahk script for Everything. Is there something similar but for wox or keypirihna?

Still no news on the listary 6 release date?
Iā€™ve purchased a license 11 months ago, and yet I still havenā€™t used it since Iā€™m waiting for the full release. It was supposed to launch a year agoā€¦

1 Like

Both Wox and Keypirihna support Everything
so you can use the QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder scripts from
Everything
I like Wox more than Keypirihna because it searches with Everything by default.

I have a life-time license and used the latest beta 6 but stopped using it
as it is a dead product.

Listary should made open source if dev no longer is able to update it.

4 Likes

does anybody know a replacement for the explorer integrated search? Because IMHO that is the real killer feature.
Replacing the launcher functionality isnā€™t a problem but I did not fine anything that integrates so nicely into the explorer.
@Jakob_Attkinson
Why donā€™t you just use the beta? Itā€™s pretty stable and awesome to use - at least you should try.

2 Likes

Why do you say this??

Is there any plans for this project to be continued? Or for it to become open sourced so devs can continue this project or for additional devs to be brought in on the project to help make this an ongoing product. Wox is a good alternative, but just doesnt have the potential this product has shown.

3 Likes

Totally

1 Like

The fact that the developer hasnt updated this program in a year and cannot even respond; themselves, really does indicate this should become open sourced for others to help continue this amazing project. This app has a ton of potential to become and extremely useful tool in the windows environment and needs to have developers that can attend to its development.

6 Likes

Maybe a crowdfunding to make it open source?

2 Likes

I took a look at the Chinese portion of the discussions and found this post by @Channing in April this year.

It seems he is fine. But another company he started working for was in AI, and various government departments have him busy chugging away, my guess is for research on the COVID-19 pandemic.

You can click the link for the post in Chinese as well as links to various places linked in the post. I will post a Google Translate below, but add my own remarks to what are most likely mistranslations by Google in brackets [].

Thank you for your concern. At the moment, Iā€™m fine, I havenā€™t hung up, but I donā€™t have enough time to invest in Listary :rofl: I joined an AI startup [company or research group is my guess] in the beginning of last year, mainly for the development and product implementation of some machine learning algorithms. After the outbreak of the new crown epidemic [most likely a literal translation of COVID-19] in January, the company launched intensive cooperation with various government departments, using machine learning and big data [https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/big-data/what-is-big-data.html] to assist the government in tracing, deduction, and precise prevention and control. I was specifically responsible for the research and development of some of these projects, so the time was very tight a while ago, the forum mailbox did not have time to read, I am sorry to let everyone miss [Re-translation: I did not have time to read the forum mailbox, and I am sorry to miss everyoneā€™s mail/let them sit]. The wave of updates promised years ago was also delayed by the recent situation. Now there are some new ideas about Listary, which is very delicate. The current time is still very tight, and [I] will try to take some time to achieve it.

9 Likes

Honestly, the beta release has all the functionality I need except for one feature: theming. Does anyone have a clue of how to hack my own theme into Listary? Maybe a config file somewhere or modifying the process memory directly? The default bright white box can become pretty straining on the eyes.

1 Like

Iā€™ll donate in the three-digit range in this case. Thatā€™s not even much because Listary is a life-saver 10hrs a day for me.

5 Likes

I would like to take part in that project :slight_smile: Listary is a great tool

1 Like