Listary 6 Beta 🎉

My entire system froze suddenly 10 minutes ago. When I force-rebooted the system, Listary has since refused to start with this error:

Application: Listary.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
   at .()
   at .()
   at Listary.Core.ListaryApp.Start(System.String ByRef)
   at Listary.Main.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Listary.Main.App.Main()

I tried launching Listary manually, but the same error appeared. Event Viewer shows Listary triggering a second error at C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll , too:

Faulting application name: Listary.exe, version: 6.0.5.16, time stamp: 0x5cd6d83d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.476, time stamp: 0x83c3d83a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x4384
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5a49a7beadd49
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Listary\Listary.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c65b2825-8b0b-429c-9664-9eea84d3e4e4
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Then, within moments after restarting, Bitdefender threw this virus protection message:

2019-11-26_15-47-58

I’m ready to uninstall & reinstall Listary 6, but 1) are there any more logs you’d need that could get deleted? and, 2) any reason why this happened and/or do we need to set an exception for Listary now in anti-virus programs?

Environment
Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 (18363.476)
Listary 6.0.5.16
Default Windows Explorer: no mods, no tweaks, etc.

1 Like

Same here. Error started with latest win10 major update to 1909

1 Like

Yup, @Manuel. What anti-virus are you using? Defender or something else?

Just now, this bug hit another 1909 system (though no notification from Bitdefender). Not sure if it is caused by the 1909 update, though, as I updated a week ago and Listary 6 beta worked great.

@Channing Any workarounds for this crash? Haven’t been able to launch Listary 6 beta on either of my machines.

EDIT: hahah, in the middle of writing this post, Bitdefender sent the notification:

A real weird bug, to suddenly pop out of the blue. Listary, Windows, etc. worked fine for a week, even after updates. Maybe this was a Bitdefender update, then, which updated today on this system (will check version on 1st system soon):

Bitdefender Free 1.0.15.142 (Antimalware Engine 7.83010)
Listary 6.0.5.16

In fact the managed av internaly uses the bitdefender engine too.

1 Like

I had to whitelist listary as it got quarantined constantly by bitdefender. But now everything is working fine.

1 Like

OK, glad to hear that workaround worked.

Today, with the latest Bitdefender update, one 1909 system started launching Listary normally and ListaryHookHost32.exe is no longer flagged in the Bitdefender Quarantine. Will check the 1909 laptop tomorrow.

Working system, updated:

Bitdefender Free 1.0.16.144 (Antimalware Engine 7.83054)
Bitdefender Free 1.0.15.142 (Antimalware Engine 7.83010)
Listary 6.0.5.16

any ETA for the final version.

4 Likes

App is crashing when adding a new filter in File Search:

It works if I run Listary Beta as administrator.

Any news on the stable release of Listary 6? This beta seems to have been running for more than a year.

2 Likes

In nowadays everyone must working hard for daily life, so probably we pay too little to develop Listary. I think the best option is to make paid upgrade by Author and then when he will start earning money for Listary we will see progress in developing. In now onetime payment option we must be patient and wait for author’s free time to develop the software. And one I must say, listary ios one of the best “must have” software, it has no real alternative. And if Listary can search partialy within file names and path in the same time and sort it by date it will be the most powerfull software on Windows - this search option is avaible in Everything develop by voidtools, for example:

4 Likes

Version 5 was indispensable, but I’m looking forward to 6.
I saw that it was not able to search in Navicat in Beta 6.0 version.
Please do not destroy the abilities in 5 or even add extra abilities.
And please hurry a little :slight_smile:

Sadly going to deactivate Listary. Developer offers little in updates or communication. I loved Listary and supported it but this is ridiculous.

Anyone aware of alternatives?

Use Listary 5.

1 Like

If Listary could tap into Everything’s command line interface, ES.exe, that would be something awesome too, I think.

any release date for the final version “v6”

2 Likes

As alternative I use:
Find and run robot (with everything plugin)
and
quick access popup

FARR as launcher, and QAP as everything else

Is Listary 6 Beta abandoned @Channing ??? :cry:

1 Like

@matesko Thanks for the info. I have used a couple of DonationCoder.com applications over the years. I’m going to look into FARR and QAP. I didn’t know about either.

Obviously, I don’t know what @Channing is dealing with in his life. Hopefully, he is simply very busy with other things of higher priority than Listary, but nothing bad has happened. That said, he should at least communicate in some form to let people know what is going on, if at all possible. No matter what, @Channing isn’t handling business with users (especially Listary Pro users) as well as should be done. I say that as one that bought a Listary 5 Pro license almost 7 years ago.

The Listary 6 development has been a long struggle. To me, it has become a bit of a joke. I hardly ever come here to check on the status. It’s really sad. I use Listary 5 once in a while, but mainly use Everything, which I use all the time. I will check out FARR and QAP (thanks again, @matesko).

I hope Listary 6 dev work can resume and Listary 6 will end up being successful and a great product, despite all of its problems.

Beautiful application, however, it is so big in RAM usage, in my old laptop (4GB RAM) I don’t find it appropriate leaving me with fewer memory for other applications.

Here a comparison with Keypirinha’s RAM usage.
imagen

BTW: What is node used for?