Listary 6 Beta 🎉

Thank you for your feedback. I’ll check if it’s possible to support that.

It’s back now. Right-click tray icon to update.

1 Like

Try to update Listary first. Are you using Explorer or a 3rd-party file manager?

Sorry I don’t get this one. Please elaborate. Is it the same as the issue you mentioned below?

This is not hard to fix. I’ll work on it soon.

Please stay positive and have a little faith in Listary 6. It’s still a work-in-progress, and I can guarantee that the final product will blow you away.

I’ve already fixed the Options window. You can update (right-click tray icon) and check.

Is Projects no longer a feature? It seems the keywords have been pulled into File Search-Filters. However, the behavior of keywords is now different. I can no longer type a keyword followed by enter to reliably go to a specific directory. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Success appears to depend on the current directory. Works 100% in v5. Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, Projects is being merged to filters which has more features. I’m still making modifications.

Do you mean you want to use the keyword to open the Project folder itself instead of searching within it?

works like a charm! Thank you

The last beta constantly use about 100 M in memory, when idle, apart from his companion apps. To me is just too much for what it does. The v5 use about 15M.

Also, seems too beta for a daily use. Too many things broken/not implemented. Ex. Ignore disks for index doesn’t seems to work, as I still seeing entries from disks that already put to ignored list.

Yes, that is how I used Projects. Type in a short keyword followed by enter and viola Listary opens the project folder. That’s because the directory associated with the keyword was always at the top and highlighted. With v6 that is not always the case. Sometimes the directory is not even in the list.

The memory model is completely different now and you should not compare the numbers directly. The new model is managed by Windows (similar to Windows Store apps): as long as you have enough free memory, Windows allocates as much as possible to apps like Listary to speed up future operations. Windows may also gradually recycle memory if you keep apps idle for some time (like 15 minutes). If your previous memory usage is 15M, it could be 50M now, which really isn’t much, just one Chrome tab.

Can you upload one screenshot of your index setting and one of Listary’s search results?

Another great feature I had been utilizing in v5 was the ability to customize a keyword for a file/folder using Ctrl+K.

@dave @ZbY3g71tMw

The good news is that you don’t even need to manually assign a keyword to do that in Listary 6. For example, if you want to be able to quickly open a folder named FileSearch:

1. Search the full name by typing file or file search as usual, press Enter to open it once or twice.
  2. The next time you’ll be able to use fuzzy matching and can type fs directly to get FileSearch.

In some cases, the target folder may rank low if you use the shortened/fuzzy keyword, just select and open it. The rank will be adjusted automatically the next time.

@Channing

Unfortunately this is not working well for me. The following is a quick way to reproduce this. Click a folder under Favorites in the left pane of Windows explorer. Click in the right pane and start typing the target folder name. When the target folder name appear in the list, highlight and press Enter. After more than 20 repetitions clicking the same folder under Favorites, it still takes typing 10 letters of the target folder to get it to appear in the list. Oddly, it shows up with fewer letters typed when I make a spelling mistake.

I was mainly talking about the launcher mode (activated by hotkey, shown in the middle of the screen) previously. In Explorer, Listary always shows results from the folder you’re browsing first. I’ll optimize this.

Search filters will also be modified later to make the behavior similar to before.

Listary 6 Beta crashes (using Win7):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Listary.exe
Application Version: 6.0.1.6
Application Timestamp: 5c236ab3
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23915
Fault Module Timestamp: 59b94f2a
Exception Code: c06d007e
Exception Offset: 000000000001a06d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1043
Additional Information 1: 7283
Additional Information 2: 72836eb6216b49be15302fdb224c1b5d
Additional Information 3: f0b0
Additional Information 4: f0b04b3cc0c9de2a942408d0a3b425c3

Thanks for the feedback. Did it crash when you were searching a file?

Hi Channing, thanks for the great work so far on Listary 6.

I have some minor issues: I am using xyplorer as my default file manager. With listary 5 when I was trying a to download a file I would open the folder with xyplorer and the download dialog would point directly to that folder (quick switch). With listary 6 is not possible any more.

Also I really miss the extra shortcuts on the launcer. Thanks again!

Beta is pretty good. But where can i get the changelog for the recent updates? Today i’ve got a 6.0.1.6 version, but i don’t realize what’s new?

thanks for this.

I’ve updated, but i’m still having the issue

i use both explorer and q-dir

i think it may have to do with my enabling “columns in non-detail views” [windows explorer]. doing that always messed up listary version 5 search as you type. it would search and highlight, but it would not be able to select. in this case, search as you type is not working at all.

i hope this helps.

thanks