Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2334)

The default hotkey has been changed to Ctrl+Shift+O.

1 Like

Been Using Listary for a year now .
You have probably saved more time in my life than anyone else !

Just a small wish .
I have a big collection of ebooks , catagorized deeply , sometimes i need to explore them , but donā€™t want that monster of WinExplorer to be opened . I like typing Economic , sure it getā€™s me to the folder but now i have to open it in Explorer , ctrl enter jumps me back to parent , but how can i browser the children ?

Well the current hacky solution is an Autohotkey script bound to copy the folder path and paste it again ,

Wish you add child discovery , something like / or \ to traverse folder nodes

Do you mean you want to type ā€œEconomicā€, and then type / or \ to browse sub-categories of Economic within Listary?

1 Like

yap , thatā€™s it

This is a life saver :joy:
Thank you for letting me know of the change.

Hi Channing,

Lovely to see the new version coming out! So many improvements that was on my personal wishlist has come true! :grinning:

I noticed that when Listary starts up, the UAC would prompt for userā€™s permission to elevate privilege for ListaryService.exe. Now I use Microsoftā€™s Application Compatibility Manager to bypass the UAC prompt for my most used and trusted applications and Iā€™d like to add ListaryService.exe to it. Unfortunately, after I add an Application Fix for ListaryService.exe(the fix is ā€œRunAsInvokerā€), Listary starts without UAC popping out but is not able to find anything other than files on my external hard drive and my universal apps.

Then I add a fix for Listary.exe itself (also ā€œRunAsInvokerā€), but it doesnā€™t work either. I experiment a little more by changing the fix from ā€œRunAsInvokerā€ to ā€œRunAsAdminā€ (for both ListaryService.exe & Listary.exe). This time the UAC pops out.

As there are no more tricks up my sleeves, I turn to you for help. Can you investigate this issue please? Thank you!

P.S. Iā€™m running Windows 8.1 Professional, my windows user account is a member of Administrators group. The Listary version Iā€™m running is 5.0.0.2134. In case you are not aware of what Iā€™m doing, hereā€™s a reference.

Simply switch to the installer version. Remember to remove the current portable version from Windows startup first.

I am using the installer version. I stopped using portable version a year ago and has removed the folder completely.

If youā€™re using the installer version, ListaryService.exe should start automatically without the UAC prompt. Can you check the status of ListaryService?

If itā€™s not running, reinstall Listary (also remove all Listary related entries in Application Compatibility Manager). If it still doesnā€™t work, uninstall Listary, reboot, and then reinstall.

Any updates for a new build with improvements/fixes?

One bug I ran into: Lots of crashes when I mapped listary to index a network drive (used UNC path). Once I removed this the crashes have only become occasional. I still am getting a crash a day or so. I checked my appdata folder for crash details but itā€™s empty right now, will check again after next crash.

Thanks Channing, all problems gone. I guess itā€™s some glitches during the upgrading process.

Is it possible that some paths on your mapped network drive are too long (more than 255 chars, especially if you have Node.js installed)? There will be a related fix for this in the next release.

Somethingā€™s gone terribly wrong with this beta for me.
I installed it over the latest 4.x build, restarted, and whenever I try to start listary the following happens:

1. I can see the Listary and Listary service running in Process Explorer.
  2. Thereā€™s no Listary icon in the status bar.
  3. I can open Windows Explorer. Neither by clicking My Computer or the Win+E.
  4. Only after I kill Listary Those Windows Explorer instances I tried to open in 3 do open.
  5. The uninstaller is stuck. I see in Process Explorer that it started Listary and the Listary Service - I guess that has something to do with it.
  6. The Listary log is full of the following lines repeating over and over:
    [0624/222529:WARNING:status_icon_win.cpp(28)] Unable to create status tray icon.
    [0624/222529:WARNING:status_icon_win.cpp(47)] Error setting status tray icon image
    [0624/222529:WARNING:status_icon_win.cpp(82)] Unable to set tooltip for status tray icon
    [0624/234502:ERROR:window_impl.cc(56)] Failed to unregister class Listary_WidgetWin_0. Error = 1,412

The Listary Service Log contains only two lines:
[1216/100549:WARNING:ipc_channel_win.cc(264)] Unable to create pipe ā€œ\.\pipe\listary.ListaryServiceā€ in client mode. Error :0
[1216/100957:WARNING:ipc_channel_win.cc(264)] Unable to create pipe ā€œ\.\pipe\listary.ListaryServiceā€ in client mode. Error :0

My PC is running Windows 7 SP1 64bit

Edit: I was able to uninstall Listary by killing the instances of Listary and Listary service that the unistaller started from Process Explorer.

Edit2: I rebooted and installed again the beta and it seems like order was restored. No idea what happend, maybe it was becuase I installed over v4? I closed during the installation process as the setup demanded it and after the setup was complete rebooted. No idea what happened.

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ll check it and make sure the updating process is smooth.

Love the new features, Channing. Iā€™ve been messing about with the Launcher mode (Ctrl+Ctrl).
Some feedback so far:

1. In the options menu, web keywords are ā€œgroupedā€ with Folders and Commands under Keywords. But to use those web keywords you have to press Ctrl+Ctrl. Seems a bit inconsistent.
  2. I have multiple languages installed: English is the default but I also use Hebrew. Thereā€™s some oddity with input language switching: It seems like the regular search and command modes have separate input language settings, so you can start searching and hitting Ctrl+Ctrl with not only switch to command mode it will also change the input language. Very strange. Is it a feature? Because I think it slows me down.

Normally you donā€™t need to search the web in Windows Explorer, so itā€™s not enabled.

It seems that Windows considers the Listary toolbar within Explorer and the launcher toolbar 2 different windows, and therefore switches the input method automatically.

It seems that Windows considers the Listary toolbar within Explorer and
the launcher toolbar 2 different windows, and therefore switches the
input method automatically.

Iā€™m not starting Listary from Windows Explorer. Iā€™m starting to type with no Windows Explorer window open and the focus is on the desktop. Input language is English. Pressing Ctrl+Ctrl switch to Command mode and if I continue to type itā€™s in Hebrew (Input language switched).

Normally you donā€™t need to search the web in Windows Explorer, so itā€™s not enabled.

The same thing regarding using web keywords: From the desktop, with no Windows Explorer open, type cmd and Listary suggest starting the command prompt, but if you type ā€œmap white houseā€ the appropriate Web Keyword isnā€™t triggered unless you press Ctrl+Ctrl. Web Keywords are 2nd class citizens in Listary at the moment.

I understand your concern. Listary has 2 modes:

1. Embedded mode, triggered by typing within an application (Desktop, Explorer, etc.) directly. The top priority of this mode is selecting a file/folder from the file list easily and quickly. To guarantee that, some features like web search are disabled in this mode.
  2. Launcher mode, triggered using Ctrl+Ctrl or a hotkey. In this mode you can launch apps or websites. So whenever you need to launch something, just press Ctrl+Ctrl before typing the search query.

Thereā€™s a 3rd way: Start typing directly from the desktop. That saves one step of launching Windows Explorer. And hitting Ctrl+Ctrl switches to Launcher mode. And when you do that, you get that inconsistent Input Language behavior.
Now that might not be the most common way people (myself included) use Listary, and sure, there are ways to avoid it but itā€™s a usage ā€œpathā€ that results in this strange inconsistency and thatā€™s what Iā€™m reporting here.

You can press Ctrl+Ctrl to open Listary in launcher mode directly without opening Explorer first.