Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2334)

Hello Channing,

Thank’s for your answer

If I had on (two) wish,

• can you please use a extra hotkey for launcher mode
  • and with the first time i press ctrl Listary will open and with the second time i press ctrl listary will be hide

Many thanks

Greetings
wazlaf

Do you want to set a browser for all web sites or set a different browser for every site?

Not yet :frowning:

It’s not complex to add regex support. Which prefix do you prefer to activate regex in current search?

When you want to hide Listary, just press Esc.

Discuss this topic here.

Continuing the discussion from Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2133):

I myself am using IE for work, Chrome for another company and Firefox for personal stuff. So, yes, it would be nice to enter several webbrowsers in a list of predefined browsers and then, per ABC Keyword select either the default or one of the predefined browsers.

Perhaps one day would be cool. :smile:

Hmm… with simple regex I really meant the standard stuff, more like wildcards in CMD shell. Like

Document*.doc
*Hello*.*
Report ???.xls

…and so on. I do not think that a prefix should be needed for this.

If you want to implement actual regexp in addition to the wildcards functions above, that would be cool, though. On the other hand, I would assume that not many average users would grasp regexp (including me, I only use very basic regexp on linux shells)
Anyway, if we stay with simple regexp, you might want to consider / as the prefix and postfix. This is done this way with linux sed(1) commands, for example. Or since it would be a subset of regexp, you would probably not implement character classes. Thus the character “:” (colon) might be a good prefix too. Of course it would have to be a colon on the very first position of the search line, otherwise it might collide with the “keyword:” syntax…

:^sto       would find "stopit.doc", but not "History.doc"
/^sto*/     is the same as above in sed syntax, I think

Daniel

Just a minor thought
Would be nice if the Batch add feature would show the current commands in the batch add format in the edit window, i.e. when I select an option “show current commands” in the Batch Add window.
That way I could copy the content and paste it to another computer where I have Listary installed as well and Batch Add open…

A question to Menus in the beta.
In Options - Menus - Toolbar, I see the following structure:

Favorite
Menu: Total Commander Directory Menu
Menu: Favorite
Menu: Application Favorite
Recent
Menu:Recent
Commands
Menu:Commands

I assume the Toolbar is in the search window on the right side (the 3 …) when I start Listary in launch mode.
When I click the Favorite Menu in the launch box, I see no entry (since my Favorite menu is still empty). So far so good…

Now, what are the two entries
Menu: Total Commander Directory Menu
Menu: Application Favorite

I do not see those Menus anywhere. I do not have Total Commander installed as well.
What are those two menus for?

I’ll add wildcards support first, and maybe regex in a later version.

Had the same behavior.
But I see that it’s already fixed in the last beta:

Change log (5.00.2134)
•Fixed: Ctrl+C didn’t work in file managers while Listary was running.

Cool. Thanks.

Importing & Exporting (for all settings) will be available soon.

They are just placeholders. If you have Total Commander installed, it’ll be replaced with your TC menu. And if you don’t, nothing will be shown.

“Application Favorite” is used for backward compatibility with Listary 3. You don’t need it now.

Bug? Can’t get Fuzzy matching to switch off.

I enabled Fuzzy matching in Listary Options to try it out. I did not like it, or did not understand it. Anyway, I disabled Fuzzy matching again, Applied the change, exited with OK.

However, Listary still presents me Fuzzy matching results in the launch bar. I also exited Listary completely and restarted. Still same behavior.

If I type in explorer, I do not get fuzzy matching results…

In the launch bar, if I type “mail”, I am presented with the following, supposedly fuzzy matching results. I think this might be a bug:

Fuzzy matching is always enabled for the app launcher so that you can type “pp” to launch “PowerPoint” for example.

In the portable version, Listary creates a folder called “UserData”. It seems to me that all configuration is in that folder.
So when Channing just released a new Beta, I copied that folder to the new Beta directory (which did not contain that folder) and all my configuration was there again…

(I prefer to use portable apps as much as possible. more flexibility for me)

Ah, ok. Good to know. Thanks.

Hello Channing,
Just bought a full license, since the beta is so promising. :slight_smile:

The more I use Listary, the more I think a defined sort order of the search results is a must. I often search for the last version of a document I edited or changed. I’m not sure what the current sort order is, but it is not helping much.
If there is no easy way to add the date column to the search output, what about an option where I can select the default sort order of the search results? For example:
- newest entry first (last modified, that would be my preferred default)

• oldest entry first (not sure if I’d ever use that
  • 0-9, A to Z
  • size big to small
  • etc.

Nice update ! Having a lot of fun with the new features! I’ll let you know if I find any bugs :wink:

Thank you very much!

Search experience is always the top priority, and many improvements will be available soon.

I can see that you often use Listary to search for documents. Can you tell me a little more about those search results that you’re not expecting? What are those unwanted results? Are they also documents created by you? Or are they parts of Windows and other program installations?

Do you think it will solve your problem if we put search results from specific folders (like “My Documents” and your other working folders) on top instead of simply sorting all results by date?

You are welcome. My policy is that a programmers work needs to be supported, and not only by asking silly questions.

I mostly search for documents which are in specific areas on my disk. Not all are under “My Documents”. Many are in Dropbox or OneDrive Folders, some are on Onedrive for Business folders. I work for several companies and thus need some distinction on the search results. At the moment I help myself with folder keywords. I also started to use projects (since I have a full license now ;-)).

But even with those features, I get search results that are difficult to sort out.
Small example: I tend to have the date (i.e. 151106, which is todays date) of the last edit of the document in the document name. I use that as a simple way of versioning when I share documents with other people and they have to send their notes back to me. (Unfortunately, the great possibilities of OneDrive for Business around versioning and other best practices like document revisions and merging, etc. are not well known amongst users of Microsoft products… most tend to send around files with identical filenames and different content and are not aware what chaos they create… but that’s another story…)

So I have files that are named like the following:
“FY16 ABC Co. - Training Curriculum - Draft - 151106.doc”
“FY16 ABC Co. - Training Curriculum - Draft - 151029.doc”
“FY16 ABC Co. - Training Curriculum - Draft - 150917 - version for Jeff.doc”
“FY16 ABC Co. - Training Curriculum - Draft - 151106-v2.doc”

If I search for “curricul” and expect to find the very latest one (in terms of modified date), All those entries would show up in an order I do not understand at the first glance (because the file name part with the datecode is not visible) . Actually, I cannot determine the right file at all that way. Since I do not see it immediately, as a workaround, I do open the folder the files sit in instead, then click on the modifiedt date column to sort newest at top and then select and open the file from there. That are several steps more.

I could save that additional steps if I’d knew that the first entry in the search result list was actually the very latest version.

This is why I ask for the feature to have the sort order of search results be well defined. In my case, newest on top would work best.

About unwanted results: I need primarily results that are files/folders I can or must act upon. That would be files that are editable by a mainstream application (whatever that means).
For Example, the search string above also shows me a file in C:\Users\daniel\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\FY16%ABC%20Co.%20Curriculum%20-%20Who%2304803002544363668… which is a excel binary worksheet. Actually it’s a locally cached file from an edit session of an Excel file that I opened directly from SharePoint. I am definitively not interested in that. And yet, it appears as result #3, even before the list of files I actually looked for. Another result I get (#6) is “E2490400_FY16 Support Curriculum.cmf” which is located in C:\ProgramData\Email Backup Optimization\Data\Mail_xyz_AAA82AA6F9802EC3 (where xyz is actually a PST folder name in Outlook). The file is created for backup to an online backup provider. This is definitively again a file I do not need to see in the search result.
The useful results start at place #7.

What is the actual order? I guess it’s first folders, then shortcuts, then ?? and then documents?

I revert back to X1 as my search tool when I want to find files based on other attributes, like content, author, etc. However, X1 is a search tool and has not the same productivity features as Listary. Listary is for me a very clever way to navigate the document store and act quickly on files.

Daniel

PS.
While writing the answer above, I found two additional areas you might consider as new features in future versions:

• you might eventually consider to add file metadata to the search scope
  • perhaps Listary could be made to work in Outlook too? I have tons of folders there as well. Finding messages is more or less ok in Outlook (though I use X1 there too). Yet, finding the place where I stored a message is much more difficult. (though I use Techhit SimplyFile for that and it helps a lot too… only, finding a particular folder where I saved the message to is challenging too…)
    Oh, by the way, TechHit’s tool “QuickJump” has similar features like Listary, but Listary is definitively far superior. The only feature that dwarfs Listary is the ability to configure QuickJump via Active Directory for a whole company. But I guess you do not think about that target segment (yet).