Expanding Folder Tree

Is it possible or is there an option to not have the folder tree on the left side in windows 7 be expanded when opening a folder with Listary?

1 Like

Hello Lynn,

Sorry that I don’t quite get the question. Do you mean you want to let the folder tree keep the original folder after opening a new folder with Listary?

When I open a folder with listary, the folder list on the left side is expanded showing all the folders relative to the folder I opened. I would like to have it so that the it does not show the folder list expanded on the list side, just the drives etc.

1 Like

I’m sorry that this is the designed behavior of Explorer (if you open the folder using mouse you’ll get the same behavior) and can’t be changed.

Actually I switched from a similar Program called foldermenu which does not expand the folder list on the left side when opening a folder through it.

Hello Lynn,

Could you please send two screenshots of how the folder tree is expanded by both Folder Menu and Listary to support@listary.com ? Thank you very much.

The first picture is Listary

The Second picture is FolderMenu

Yes, i am with lynn on this one.

I figured it out. This is controlled by a system option:

1. Open the “Organize” menu of Windows Explorer.
  2. Choose “Folder and search options”.
  3. Check/Uncheck “Automatically expand to current folder” in “Navigation pane”.

yes, it has been unchecked but Listary still uses the expand feature.
Hope you can fix this.

@tourmaline
It will only affect new Explorer windows. Please restart your existing Explorer windows.

Channing, it still uses the expand feature when i open a favourite folder. This behavier is only seen in Listary. Direct folder or for that matter foldermenu don’t show this behavier. See screenshots of Lynn.

In Windows it’s unchecked for years!
So all the other programs don’t show this beavier, just Listary.

here’s a couple of examples for opening windows explorer:

Explorer [/n] [/e] [(,)/root,] [/select,]

/n Opens a new single-pane window for the default
selection. This is usually the root of the drive Windows
is installed on. If the window is already open, a
duplicate opens.

/e Opens Windows Explorer in its default view.

/root, Opens a window view of the specified object.

/select, Opens a window view with the specified folder, file or
application selected.

So, if you unchecked “Automatically expand to current folder”

the following command line will open windows explorer without the tree expand view.

explorer.exe /n /e

This will open a window in standard view mode! Without the expanded tree view!

I tested this in the command line and it works, so it has to be a small bug in Listary!

Hope you can fix it.

@tourmaline

Thank you very much for the information. I’m sorry that I read it wrong, I thought you were talking about opening a favorite folder withing an Explorer window using Listary.

I’ve fixed this in version 4.

Looking forward to it.

Nice! Looking forward also. Good job tourmaline