Working on documentation for Listary 5, need some input

Hello everyone,

Currently I’m working on documentation for Listary 5, and I’d like to hear your suggestions!

• What kind of information do you want to be included in the documentation?
  • Some samples would be very helpful. What apps’ documentations do you like and find useful?

Thank you.

How to search?

This should be the most important part, which includes several examples and all the functionalities that Listary have.
There’re currently some videos in the website, but they’re separate and hard to tell what’s the key operation. What should I do to find a .docx file? Can I use wildcard operators? Can I use regex? What if there’re spaces in the file I want to find? Escape operation?

How to customize? (Power User)

Currently things are separate. and there’s no explanation on different modules. What’s action, workspace, keyword?

As a developer, how can I write something to listary?

Trouble shooting and Q&A

I like the documentation of Visual Studio Code.
Its documentation make it isn’t hard to get hand on it and get most of it, while there’s still much can be explored later. Its developer guide is great, too.

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback!

The documentation should definitely cover all kinds of users:

• Casual users who only use the basic functions.
  • Power users who want to customize it.
  • Developers who want to contribute.

I’ll also check the documentation of VS Code soon.

If you cover each item on the LEFT side of the “Listary Options” dialog window, that would be a great start. For example “Keywords”. EXPLAIN: Where an what does the user type to correctly invoke this functionality. Also explain if it doesn’t work, what the possible causes could be.

Provide a way for the user to quickly access the correct topic through the “Listary Options”.
Examples:

• A “?”-mark button somehwere at the bottom, when clicked the dialog goes into “help” mode meaning that a next click on any item wil automatically navigate the user the correct page in the helpfile.
  • Or when user ALT-clicks any item in the Listary options dialog, automatically navigates to the correct poge within the helpfile
  • -Or when pressing the “?”-mark button activates a tooltip mouseover mode. When hovering over an item a big tootlip “window” is rendered with the help contents

The above are just ideas, I know it might be a lot to implement…

EDIT :
3)
Explain how to restrict: searches, keyword settings,…
Give clear examples on how to restrict listary from doing system-wide things, where applicable.

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Yes, that would be a great start point.
  2. Working on it. Just added some mouse hover tips in the latest beta.
  3. Sorry that I don’t fully get this one. Can you provide some examples of “restricting listary from doing system-wide things”?

With ‘System wide’ I mean for example the searching for files but not going through the whole System: the drive on which the OS resides and possible other drives.
Give an example on how to limit a search.

Maybe there are other functionalities within listary that does things system wide, if so then provide example(s) on how to restrict them.

BUT as far as I have seen I think only the search does things system wide, so I think this could be a short one to implement. And I think If you provide use case examples for advanced users then you will probably cover this subject automatically?

I think (in my very humble opinion) if you do the following 2, you have 95% covered:

1. The listary options dialog window, cover each option displayed on the left side.
  2. Give examples for (like you stated earlier):
  • Casual users who only use the basic functions.
  • Power users who want to customize it.
  • Developers who want to contribute.
  1. OPTIONAL: Mouse over feedback in the options window of listary

I think you don’t have to do a huge manual, even a short one covering EACH option briefly and then examples (casual, power, developers) will unveil Listary’s power.

Another tip would be to ask users on how they use listary (create a seperate topic for it that is always displayed somewhere at the top of the forum list and then notify users through). I think you will be very suprised on how users use Listrary to interact with their OS and can give you some pointers for your “examples” section for the manual.

Thanks for the information. Here is what I’ve finished so far:

They should cover many of your suggestions. I’ll add more soon.

That’s a great idea! I’ll post the topic soon.

I miss some informations about folder keywords and projects. What is the difference? What are the benefits of one or the other?

Basicly the Projects feature is being replaced by Search Filters which is more powerful and flexible. Projects is currently left there for compatibility reasons.

New Listary user here. Explored the program thoroughly.

The manual is painfully lacking. I read the entire help on the web site and I’m starting to understand most of it, but mainly from trial & error. This app is not ready for novice users IMO.

As a high-end power user I had difficulties trying to differentiate between:
Projects
Search (Filters)
Keyboard (Folders)
Index
Launch apps

That’s five… FIVE seemingly similar things to confuse the user. Listary is an awesome app, but this is really confusing to any user.

Remove Projects if it’s been depreciated and replaced with Search. It clutters the interface and adds to user confusion. I love the tooltips idea instead of a dedicated manual. It’s definitely the way to go! If a user doesn’t know what something does, they just hover and it gives a clear explanation without leaving the screen. I would not include troubleshooting tips in the tooltips obviously as space is limited and you want to be as succint as possible.

All these concepts will be redesigned and refined in the next major version, and many of them will be completely removed. There should be less confusion then.

How about documentation repository on Github?

This would allow interested parties to put in a pull request and help the community to enhance the documentation.

For example, there is a broken link on the getting-started page (http://www.listary.com/docs/getting-started).

One of your current users could have easily fixed it.

Thank you for your feedback. I’ve fixed the link. There will be wiki style documentation with the release of Listary 6.