[Seeking Suggestions and votes] Switching from Launcher to File Search Window 🤩

Hi everyone :wave:

Have you tried the new file search window in the V6.3? We’ve received a lot of feedback, and it seems like people are really liking it. :heartbeat: However, to introduce the file search window, we had to change an existing shortcut key setting.

[Original Setting, Before V6.3]: Double-pressing Ctrl opens the launcher, and double-pressing Ctrl again closes the launcher. (Double-pressing Ctrl a third time repeats the cycle).

[Current Setting, V6.3]: Double-pressing Ctrl opens the launcher, and double-pressing Ctrl again switches to the file search window. (Double-pressing Ctrl a third time repeats the cycle).

The shortcut key scheme has gone through several iterations, and personally, I think we’ve now got the best setup. However, I still want to hear your thoughts! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Please cast your vote!

• I’m a longtime user and prefer the old setting where the second double-press of Ctrl closes the launcher. I strongly hope we can revert to this setting.
  • I like the current setting where the second double-press of Ctrl switches from the launcher to the file search window.
  • I’d like the option to choose for myself (ability to set it to close or switch).
0 voters

Some insights into the design process

Why do we need the feature to switch from the launcher to the file search window?

The design intent is for users to start their search with the launcher. If the target file isn’t found on the first page of results (with the launcher), you can switch to the file search window for a deeper search. When switching, the query transfers from the launcher to the file search window, allowing for a seamless experience.

Why doesn’t the third double-press of Ctrl switch back to the launcher?

The launcher is meant for quick launches (it closes automatically after opening a file/application), while the file search window is for deep file searches (it stays open and doesn’t close automatically). Practically, there’s only a need to switch from the launcher to the file search window, not the other way around.

Why doesn’t the third double-press of Ctrl close the file search window?

Double-pressing Ctrl is an instinctive action for most Listary users, and I worry that this might accidentally close the file search window. The file search window holds the query and filters, and it’s not something that needs to be quickly closed.

Do I need to press Ctrl four times to open the file search window?

You can set a hotkey to open the file search window. So, if you often need to use the file search window, you can open it directly with a customize hotkey.

1 Like

I understand the reasoning for the double-press switches from the launcher to the file search window. I think it could be helpful for some users. However, personally, after downloading 6.3 yesterday, the only thing that bugged me was this feature. I would prefer to have it close on second press. So I would greatly appreciate the option to close it on second press. Thank you for your hard work on this program!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

May I know if the issue is that you do not use the file search window and do not want it to show up, or if pressing Ctrl too many times results in opening multiple file search windows?

Of course, I really enjoy Listary, it has been one of the most useful software I’ve ever used

I use the file search window sometimes, but not as often as regular Listary search. I prefer to be able to close the search menu if I realize what I opened listary for is no longer useful (ex: I begin searching for a file but realize I don’t have that file on my system anymore, so I would like to close Listary)

Additionally, when trying to use Listary sometimes I accidentally open multiple file search windows and I have to close them all

Thank you for the wonderful File Search feature. I really enjoy it, but would like the option to revert to the previous setting. I use a single key (e.g., Win) instead of double-press Ctrl. While I totally understand that pressing Ctrl four times is rare, I often press the Win key twice, which unexpectedly opens multiple instances. I would greatly appreciate being able to choose the preferred setting. Thank you for your excellent productivity software!

Thank you for your feedback! I have another question. I’m just curious, how did you set the Win key as the hotkey? As far as I know, Listary doesn’t support using the Win key as a hotkey hhh

aha~ I wrote a C# script to map Win key to a key combination that is rarely used. Then set the key combination to open the launcher. Thank you for your outstanding deveopment!

1 Like

just ask whether we are going to have an option to go back to the way before v6.3 as I am sticked to v6.2 just for this.

Btw, I use CapsLock to open/close listary by mapping CapsLock to another key and set this key in listary for show/hide listary.

Glad to see that the Listary team is actively looking for feedback regarding this feature!

To elaborate on my vote: I picked “revert” because I don’t really use the File Search window in my workflow, but if making it an option is simple from a development standpoint, that would be a perfectly valid solution in my opinion.

However, from a “principle of least surprise” point of view, I’d suggest that such an option come disabled by default (i.e. double CTRL+CTRL closes the launcher by default), since this changes a very core interaction with the application, and has the potential to catch longtime users off guard.