Listary 6 Beta 🎉

We’re not complaining just to complain. The whole situation is suspect, so we’re being careful. There’s no harm in that. Especially since the new updates don’t appear to have anything new in them, and there’s no new changelogs. Channing always posted changelogs.

2 Likes

So they removed the extension feature? Which means we wouldn’t be able to use the calculator anymore? As tiny as it seems, I use it everyday.

Looks like it, someone replied that all the extensions he wrote are not working

Who says that Channing is still the author.

The calculator still works. Seems it’s not an extension :slight_smile:

1 Like

No one is saying so; that is why people are cautious. Listary is an application developed by one person (or at least, this is what people know). It had been on hiatus for 3 years with no communication from the developer. Then several updates are pushed within the last couple of days and now the application is magically no longer in beta. However, there is absolutely zero documentation / announcement regarding this on the web site or forums.

It is great that the installer is digitally signed and VirusTotal gives no warnings. That said, I would appreciate further communication in terms of change logs and presence of a spokesperson on the forums.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly, that’s the point of my post.

I found the virscan link from another forum. I didn’t link to it in case there are anti-advertising rules on the discussion.

Thanks for the thoughts posted here. I took the upgrade, then panicked and uninstalled it. Now I’m Listary-less. Any recommendations for obtaining a copy of the earlier beta to reinstall?

The new beta 6.0.7.23 is snappier, and works well…

You better use Microsoft PowerToys it has this capability (via PowerToys Run and = for activation of calculator) of course you decide the trigger short-cut that is convenient for yourself example: (Alt-Space)

I activate with my Pro License but nothing seems different from what it is already there… I am taking the risk for you guys :wink:

Ah, thanks @AndyK, I missed that earlier.

It’s good to be skeptical. But remember it’s not always bad when software is taken over by somebody else. That type of thing happens literally all the time for dead projects that will never get updated. It is certainly an interesting development, and I’ll keep my eyes peeled. I’m one for risk-taking, so I’ll go ahead and update. I’ll keep an eye on the traffic and let you guys know if I find anything suspicious. Honestly, though, I have bigger things to worry about right now. Something tells me this isn’t as suspicious as it seems. Maybe he sold it to a new developer. Maybe something else. This does appear like the former at first glance based on the limited info here, the lack of updated changelogs and posting… Let’s see what happens next.

why wouldn’t the new developer spend a few minutes to update the website or write an update log?!

But we haven’t gotten an official statement from Channing that he’s passing it to someone else. So the defense of “who says channing is still the author” doesn’t help at all. Either way we’re still in a situation of ambiguity and uncertainty.

How can we make connection with the developer called Channing?
I tried to hand in issues through Weibo but couldn’t get reply.
如何取得联系?

Personally, Listary has been working so well for years that I even forgot it was “abandoned”. It was surprising to see the update. My first thought was to not update it to not break anything, but seeing as it was a minor update I did anyway.

Now the sceptics have a valid point about security until the dev comes public about it.

For now I’ve blocked network connections from any listary executable. Run this code as administrator in the cmd (not powershell) to add all firewall rules:

for %G in ("C:\Program Files\Listary\*.exe") do (netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Blocked With Batchfile %G" dir=in action=block program="%G" enable=yes profile=any && netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Blocked With Batchfile %G" dir=out action=block program="%G" enable=yes profile=any)

And then add another rule blocking ListaryServiceV2 service.

Thank you :pray: