Listary 6 Beta šŸŽ‰

No, we have been kept in the dark for a while now

There is actually a short changelog for the recent versions in the original post (scroll to the top)

1 Like

There is also a ā€œWhatā€™s new in this version?ā€ section on the main website now

https://www.listary.com/download

ā†’ Friendly bump

Would Office 2003 compatibility be very hard to accomplish?

By any chance will we see listary for mac?
I was using mac for a month and felt very suffocated without listary,
I was using ### Alfred But it doesnā€™t come close to listary. I switch back to windows just for listary.

PLEASE we need something for the mac, any plans?

2 Likes

A google-translation of Channingā€™s post made on 10th of September

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival everyone! Thank you for your continued attention~

The development of new engine functions has been basically completed. It is written in Rust and has significant improvements in function richness, performance, and memory compression.

At present, there is still a lot of work to be done in the integration with the existing version: on the one hand, the existing version is mainly written in C#, and it is cumbersome to communicate with the Rust engine, especially the memory and life cycle management should be very cautious; on the other hand, The newly introduced pinyin and fuzzy search sorting needs to be integrated with other search functions, and the related sorting rules are still being tried. On the whole, there is still a lot of physical work to do, and it is expected to be experienced in Listary 6 after the November holiday.

P.S. The good news is that a new reliable partner has officially joined, and gradually began to be responsible for R&D progress management and product function research and design, and the investment in Listary will be more and more guaranteed.

8 Likes

I am so eager to see what Channing will come up with after waiting so long in anticipation. Iā€™m fairly sure it will be a fantastic experience with lots of features. Even the somewhat limited beta is far superior to any alternative Iā€™ve been attempting to replace it with. Even though the development of this software was stopped (for a very long time, we believed it to be abandonedware), I have no regrets about paying for it. I find it incomprehensible why corporations and developers canā€™t create software like this but continue to create numerous useless tools like notepad and to-do lists.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. :grinning:

1 Like

The last version (6.0.10.28) broken the integration with File Explorer! The feature ā€˜Type directly to searchā€™ donā€™t prioritize files on the current folder, but search for all files on PC! This worked on the previous version before the automatic update!

There will never be a Listary for Mac. I donā€™t mean to bash Listary, but Alfred is superior to every other file launcher on Earth. I donā€™t think you really understand the power of Alfred if you think Listary is superior.

ā€˜touchā€™ and ā€˜mkdirā€™ are not working inside of Directory Opus

Bug in Listary 6.0.10.28
Iā€™ve updated to 6.010.28 today and have encountered the same bug as Rafael_Dominiquini. When I try to search in a folder in Explorer it doesnā€™t search in that folder. Instead it does a global search. Iā€™m running Windows 10 Home 21H1, OS Build 1904.2006 and Everything 1.4.1.10022(X64) and Version 1.5a (1.5.0.1321). I am really missing this great feature. Windows doesnā€™t seem right without it! Iā€™ve restarted the computer and Listary several times with the same problem remaining.
I am a paid user and Iā€™m so glad that the development of Listary has resumed. Keep up the great work.
If you donā€™t have the full version I highly recommend paying the small price for this amazing software.

Is it possible to download the previous version? This would help a lot until a fix is made. Until then, I would simply disable auto-update.
This feature for me is the most important and without it, I see no point in continuing to use this program!

With the difference in time-zones Channing may be unaware of our posts. Hopefully he will be able to get a fix for ā€œThe find as you typeā€ not working in Explorer. Itā€™s a fundamental part of the app and now that itā€™s not working it makes me realize just how much I use it depend on it! Hopefully we will get a fix soon.

I too looked to download the previous version but couldnā€™t find an option to do so. It would be a good idea to have the previous version available so that in a situation of a major bug we can revert back to a working copy of the program.

Guys, Channing said 6.0.10.28 had been withdrawn due to reported issues. I donā€™t know if that means you can simply update from 6.0.10.28 to 6.0.9.25 because I solved my problem earlier by replacing the the program files with those of 6.0.9.25 in my system backup and also the config files in %APPDATA%\Listary. Everything works normally as before.

I guess updating from an older version works too. I have an intaller for that, but unfortunately uploading this type of file is not authorized. So Iā€™ve shared it through a torrent and this is the magnet link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a7c414832ecfe43724cfeafd66e825c0958c9373&xt=urn:btmh:1220e7de1bc3086d49be7cc2aad5b47b4fb3f7a273ee1d67b5f70ce79a3da84cd77b&dn=ListaryInstaller.exe&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.stealth.si%3a80%2fannounce

Itā€™s my first time and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve done it right. Have a try.

Unfortunately I am not able to download. Is it possible to upload this file on any sharing site?

Thanks

Iā€™m not familiar with file sharing sites but Iā€™ve found one which is easy to use. This is the download link.

Looks like all is fixed with update today

Re. Listary-equivalent app on Mac. The answer is spelled Launchbar. It is the only app worthy of a comparison to Listary. Itā€™s the app I missed the most when moving to Windows. The overhyped Alfred app is by far inferior, main difference being that Launchbar searches are fuzzy and it allows for abbreviating your search results. Itā€™s also very adept at learning what youā€™re searching for. I think I read that it uses an algorithm called frecency (sort of a mix between recent and frequent) that makes it more intelligent than other launchers.

1 Like

I am a HUGE Listary fan, and I want to believe, but I am very skeptical that these recent updates and posts are actually by Channing. I think itā€™s more likely someone else has taken over Channingā€™s account, which leaves me gun-shy to download any new updates at this point. Hereā€™s my rationale:

1. Why are posts only being offered in Chinese, when Channing always participated in English on the discussion board as well?
  2. Why are there no recent posts related to this new v6 development on either of the official Twitter accounts associated with Listary?
    @ChanningDai
    @UseListary

No one would be more thrilled than me about a re-emergence of development on Listary by Channingā€¦I sing this softwareā€™s praises every chance I get! But for now Iā€™m taking a ā€œwait and seeā€ approach until thereā€™s more evidence that this is legit.

@Channing, if youā€™re reading this, please provide us with more evidence that your identity has not been stolen. This could be done with posts to the two Twitter accounts, which likely have different security credentials.

Crossing my fingers and hoping this is for real!

3 Likes