Listary 6 Beta šŸŽ‰

But we havenā€™t gotten an official statement from Channing that heā€™s passing it to someone else. So the defense of ā€œwho says channing is still the authorā€ doesnā€™t help at all. Either way weā€™re still in a situation of ambiguity and uncertainty.

How can we make connection with the developer called Channing?
I tried to hand in issues through Weibo but couldnā€™t get reply.
å¦‚ä½•å–å¾—č”ē³»ļ¼Ÿ

Personally, Listary has been working so well for years that I even forgot it was ā€œabandonedā€. It was surprising to see the update. My first thought was to not update it to not break anything, but seeing as it was a minor update I did anyway.

Now the sceptics have a valid point about security until the dev comes public about it.

For now Iā€™ve blocked network connections from any listary executable. Run this code as administrator in the cmd (not powershell) to add all firewall rules:

for %G in ("C:\Program Files\Listary\*.exe") do (netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Blocked With Batchfile %G" dir=in action=block program="%G" enable=yes profile=any && netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Blocked With Batchfile %G" dir=out action=block program="%G" enable=yes profile=any)

And then add another rule blocking ListaryServiceV2 service.

Thank you :pray:

Channing is back! And wrote a long letter in Chinese comment section!

Channing is back :slight_smile:
see his comment: https://discussion.listary.com/t/listary/7237

4 Likes

Lord Voldemort is back!

1 Like

Wonderful, finally wait for you to return!!

ē»ˆäŗŽē­‰åˆ°AndyKå½’ę„ļ¼ļ¼äøęž‰ę­¤č”Œļ¼ļ¼ē»§ē»­å‰č”Œļ¼ļ¼

@Channing has also reopened the translation portal for Listary on crowdin.com. Maybe someone would like to update his native language there :wink:

I google translated it in English for those like me who donā€™t read chinese. Itā€™s likely innacurate at some point but it gives a rough idea of the message:

Dear Listary users, long time no see!

It didnā€™t fade away suddenly two or three years ago, and it suddenly appeared like this, and there are many things I want to say to Listary, and I want to say to you users who are always with Listary.

Confused
When Listary 6 was launched, I was still a full-time indie developer, thinking about how to present a better version of the product to everyone every day. There are too many ideas, but they cannot be converged; Listary itself is a very unique application, and there are not many things to learn from. So naturally fell into the puzzle of product design - stacking functions. Pondering over which features might be useful? add in. What are the related products doing? add in. What are the needs of users? All are added.

So we saw ā€œextensionsā€, we saw ā€œweb searchā€, and we saw a lot of things that you and I may never use. So fulfilling, yet so lost, both Listary and myself. I canā€™t even describe what a Listary is in one sentence - any description seems to cover less than half of the functionality.

By chance in 2019, I joined an AI startup and began to explore new fields. The working environment has also migrated to macOS and Linux, and is gradually moving away from the soil where Listary grows. Soon, due to energy reasons, the update was completely stagnant.

Gradually realize
But Listary has never left me, even though I no longer use Windows. I donā€™t know how many times Iā€™ve unconsciously hit the Ctrl key on my MacBook Pro twice, searched with Spotlight thinking it shouldnā€™t be so slow, and looked forward to that magical directory prompt when saving filesā€¦

There is loss, unease, guilt, and the restlessness of the bud wanting to break out of the ground.

Three years of hard work in the companyā€™s AI and toB fields have made him enter a new stage in both product and technology, and can think more systematically about the positioning and value of products. This long and brief detachment also gave me the opportunity to reexamine from the outside what exactly Listary was, what it was going to be, and what went wrong. More importantly, where did it go right.

The fog cleared and Listary wasnā€™t standing still, so we started all over again.

Reboot
Listary will focus on making files/applications accessible and providing the ultimate experience for everyone.

Natural, smooth, become a habit. I myself frequently use some new features under development, and whenever I switch to an environment where the development version of Listary is not installed, there is an indescribable strangeness and alienation. I know, some things, this time I did it right.

A new perception, a new product, a new journey. A better Listary, looking forward to seeing you again! :heart:

Some additional topics
ā€¢ What new features are you doing? ? ?
Letā€™s talk about a few that have been verified and used by yourself.

Full spell, simplified spell, mixed spell (algorithm development has been completed and will be implemented in June)
You donā€™t have to worry about project names, peopleā€™s names, and switching input methods anymore. The new version of the search engine supports the free combination of Quanpin, Jianpin, and English under the full path :wink:
Full-path fuzzy search (algorithm development completed, to be implemented in June)
Introduce the necessary path fuzzy search in developer tools (such as VS Code) into daily life, and inherit the efficient, millisecond-level fuzzy search of millions of files across the entire list of the Listary search engine.

Use with pinyin, the effect explodes :boom:
ā€¢ Whatā€™s new in the last few new releases?
All reproducible bugs have been fixed, and the most recent versions will focus on improving stability. This time the release of the official version is a little rushed, and I also think that it can no longer be delayed with the positioning of beta. There must be a new beginning and enter a positive update iteration cycle.

In addition to the official website in China, Listary also cooperates with Digital Lychee 130. As a pioneer in promoting high-quality genuine software in China, Digital Lychee can also support it~

ā€¢ Subsequent allocation of energy?
The limited energy is mainly focused on development. I will read the forums and emails, and may not be able to reply. Please forgive me~

3 Likes

Well isnā€™t this is an awesome, unexpected but welcome development! Long time Listary user, and Iā€™m quite keen to (finally) purchase a license to support development! Fluent search just couldnā€™t replace Listaryā€™s ā€œsearch as you typeā€ in Windows Explorer/file dialogue boxes etcā€¦ and there is just so much else that Listary brings.

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same. I tried Fluent Search for a few weeks but it just wasnā€™t the same. I came back to Listary and have been using now for at least 3-4 years and will never look back! So damn excited to have Channing back onboard :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I think we need a custom proxy setting (like Sock) for Chinese Mainland users.

We still donā€™t know what the changes are in the new releaseā€¦

2 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Just wanted to reconfirm this commitment.

Listary v.5ā€™s compatibility with Office 2003 is fantastic, and I use it hundreds of times every day :star_struck::+1:

Anyone know why its pinging some address all the time?
ec2-3-220-219-32.compute-1.amazonaws.com

Where did you find this article?

It was linked above by another member from a discussion on this forum in Chinese. But since my translation, he actually made a new post in English which is more accurate than my poorly translated version (itā€™s ā€œA letter to listary usersā€ by channing)

1 Like