A letter to Listary users 💌

Welcome back! Thank you for your amazing search! And to be fair, no search made by Microsoft and Apple is fast or good, the good ones are all third parties.
I like the new UI of the latest one, I would work on functionality though, it doesn’t popular in certain dialogue boxes, such as services, whereas Listary 5 popped up immediately. Also since Spotlight is so slow, why not make Listary for Mac too? Unless Alfred does that job already.

FS is nice but no, it doesn’t have the popup find functionality of Listary as yet

1 Like

No other software was truly capable of replacing this gem, please keep improving it it is really worth your time

2 Likes

What’s the popup find functionality?

1 Like

@Channing
From personal experience as an open-source developer, “limited” time generally means this is pretty much dead. That’s a pity but completely understandable.

Regarding your situation on the Mac: I’ve used Macs in the past and Spotlight has always been pretty useless to me. However, you may want to look at Quicksilver: https://qsapp.com/
To me, that is the Gold standard for a launcher, which I had hoped Listary to become for Windows. If it still works on current Macs, you’ll see why. It really is one of the few tools that worked just right…

All the best to you! :slightly_smiling_face:

How do you develop and test it if you don’t use Windows? :confused:

1 Like

I know you will still make money from the old version but maybe you would still want to open source the project and make it available on e.g. GitHub and have a few selected contributors that can approve PRs? This revenue stream would go away but maybe there would be a few sponsors. This way you could also still be involved in development but people enthusiastic about Listary could drive the development forward :slight_smile: Open sourcing it would be really cool!

That’s a great idea! I have an even better idea: you can buy the ownership off him and put it on GitHub. Everybody will be happy.

1 Like

:smiley::clap:t2::+1:t2:

Agreed. Also if you need a tester. Im happy to help.

冲冲冲

Welcome back! If you’re not using Windows, then maybe make listary for Mac and Linux instead.
Version 5 is still working good for me.
Thanks for increasing productivity big time.