Q-Dir starts directories in new instances, when using Listary [Solved]

I’m using Q-Dir as a default file manager. Listary Works perfect with it, except for one issue: Although Q-Dir is set to start any directory in the same instance (which actually works), when I use Listary it always starts in another one. I think I shoud add some command characters at “%1” in the settings of parameter. Any help?

If you manually construct a command line like C:\path_to_qdir.exe "D:\Folder to open"
and paste it to the Win+R Run dialog, does it open in an existing Q-Dir window?

No. It opens a new Q-Dir window.

Good news! I asked this question in another forum, and they helped me to solve this problem. The parameter one has to set when using Q-Dir as default file manager is: /e>%1>

Notice that there is no “”

I’m happy again with Listary and Q-Dir (and now, I’m happy too with the freeware I found in the forum where I asked my question, which by the way I recomend it too. It’s called “Everything” and it’s a very powerful file searching app: https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6183&p=20830#p20830)

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I’ll add a template for Q-Dir setting in Listary Options.

Hello Allekz, could I please ask you to specify the exact windows command ? I’ve tried this:

c:>"C:\Program Files\Q-Dir\Q-Dir.exe" /e>%1>D:\my_dir

but I’m obviously misunderstanding your solution. The Q-Dir “Open in New Tab, in the running instance” doesn’t seem to work.
Thank you

What worked for me was just the parameter: /e>%1> (No path or directory)
The only path entered was the asked one by LIstary as “Default file manager”, in my case: “C:\Program Files\Q-Dir\Q-Dir.exe”.

Actually I got some troubles when I updated my Qdir to the last version. I realized that I was using Qdir-32bit. When I installed 64bit version the parameter stoped working, but playing around with Qdir settings, specially in Extras Menu / Qdir as default file manager / Administrator… finally it worked again.

thank you Allekz

hello,

find as you type is broken in q-dir

it worked in listary 5, but it does not work in listary 6
within the integration options, the only checkbox available is ‘enable listary’ . file explorer, on the other hand has ‘enable listary’, ‘type directly to search’, and two other options. is there any way the ‘type directly to search’ option can be included in the integrations? thanks

Hi, Listary 6’s find-as-you-type doesn’t support Q-Dir at the moment.

:frowning: bummer. any plans for support?

Path,
C:-\OneDrive - HP\C- Custom\Programs\Q-Dir\Q-Dir_x64.exe

Parameter,
/e,/select,"%1"

Try this for those having trouble getting it to work. Opens in a new tab.

If it doesn’t open in a new tab for you, try setting this option as well,

Reference, (english is a little cryptic)
https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Q-DIR&faq=54

Parameter Example 3:
How to use Q-Dir select file command line?
like this “explorer /e,/select,d:\work\a.txt”

q-dir.exe /e,/select,d:\folder\select_file.txt
q-dir.exe /e,/select,“d:\folder\select file.txt”
q-dir.exe /e,/select, “d:\folder\select file.txt”

Hello, o11! I actually have updated my Q-Dir to version 8.18, for Win64. I have again the old trouble with Listary, which opens each folder in a new instance of Q-Dir, although it is set to open in a new tab.

The parameter you suggets work perfect: /e,/select,"%1"

But I’d like Q-Dir not to “select” the folder, but open it. How can we get it so?

Haha, i didn’t notice it was just selecting and not opening.
I’m not sure of how to make it open myself.
Might need to do more research.

Just checking to see if you were able to find the option to open the folder in the same or new tab rather than just selecting it ?

the solution is that:

path: path\to\Q-Dir.exe
parameter: /e>>%1

I don’t know why it works, but it actually works…

Another way is that:
path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
parameter: /c start %1

but this one will open a cmd that is a bit annoying, and not recommended.

this is the best answer, thank you.

I can confirm that this solution still works great in the 6.2.0.42 version of Listary Pro. I entered those 2 lines of data in Settings | General | Open folder with

This works for me without changing settings in Q-Dir to make it the default file browser.