Sorting

I wonder if the sorting algorithm is the same across the app or this is an isolated case, but when I open MY COMPUTER folder and type one letter C - the order in which I see the folders in Listary is:

CD drive
C (\laptop) (Y:)
Carbonite Backup Drive
Local Disk (C:)

I’m not sure I understand the logic behind the sorting. If it’s just about the MY COMPUTER folder, then it doesn’t really matter, if it’s used across the app, it may be a problem.

The sorting algorithm is the same across the app. Here is the part that is related to your example:

1. The earlier the keyword appears in the display name (not the path or file name, so it is “Local Disk (C:)” instead of just “C:”), the higher that item ranks.
  2. If no.1 is the same, these items will be in the same order as they are in Windows Explorer.

I don’t know if I like the new feature that allows you to search by letters across different words.

I think that Listary should definitely give more weight to files that have the whole search string in them as opposed to by combining one letter from several words in a longer file name.

Is there a way to tune / turn off this new functionality?

Especially, I agree that it would be useful to find “program files” by typing in “prog fil”, but finding “program files” by typing “pf” (without space) is a bit confusing.

Let me explain this feature a little more.

1. If you type more than one keyword (like “prog fil”), the fuzzy match will not be triggered.
  2. If you type an extra space at the end of your single keyword (like "prog "), the fuzzy match will not be triggered.
I think that Listary should definitely give more weight to files that have the whole search string in them as opposed to by combining one letter from several words in a longer file name.
It does, except for those very long file names with the keyword appears in the end, but I'll also change this.

Actually, I would probably still like this behavior to be optional - it adds more confusion than value to the way I use Listary.

No problem. I’ll add an option allow you to disable it.