Smarter browsing folders

Current workflow:

1. Write the name of the folder for example. “Work”. (I do not remember what file I am exactly seeking)
  2. I get three results.
  3. I pick one of them.
  4. and press Enter.
  5. Open the folder out of my, “Listary”
  6. Then I’m seeking in a dialog for opening a file or the file browser.
  7. I can see the contents of directories and remember folder.
  8. now I have to click through dialogue (which has not so good UX as Listary)
  9. I found the file.
  10. I’am opening file

Another possibility. (still case when I don’t remember name of file which I am looking for)
If I write "work" (with backslash)
I see hundreds of results from all folders with keyword “work” sometimes uselessly ordered. So I do not see the name of the next subfolder which I could write like "work\client_name" …and then "work\client_name\project_name" and finally to find and open the desired file.

Required workflow:

1. I Write the name of the folder for example. “Work”. (I do not remember what I am exactly seeking)
  2. get three results.
  3. I pick one of them.
  4. I am pressing, for example, “alt + right arrow”
  5. In the Listary I will get a directory listing of selected folder. (if I’m writing, the current directory will be the root folder for the search)
  6. I see folder content and I remember path to my file.
  7. I pick one folder from list.
  8. I am pressing “alt + right arrow”
  9. I see the file and I select him
  10. Press Enter and opens the file. (I’am still in Listary)
    (“Alt + left arrow” goes to the parent folder.)

In the case selected File (e.g. web.psd) and “Alt + left key”
It would show content of folder where is the file placed. So I could see if there si newer file (e.g, web-final.psd) or open preview file (e.g. preview.jpg).

ESC cancels the search inside the folder where you’ve set a root of search. Or would it make a search inside folders otherwise.

Sorting files.
First are the folders that I would see if I opened it in Explorer. Then the files. Right after all nested folders and files in the sublevels.

1 Like

A simple and fast folder navigation feature within Listary sounds really great! Added to my to-do list with a high priority.

2 Likes