Please restore the "Export list as CSV" feature for those of us who paid for it

Hello,

I have been a Listary Pro customer since 2010… The one feature that prompted me to purchase Pro was inexplicably removed from Listary Pro when version 4 was released.

I first contacted support in July of 2013 and found out from Channing that “the feature will be added to Listary 4 in future versions” and that he was “sorry for the inconvenience.” [emphasis added]

Here is a log of our email conversation from over a year ago:

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Listary Support support@listary.com wrote:

Hello Jason,
I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This feature will be available in Listary 4 in future versions.
Best regards,
Channing Dai
http://www.listary.com

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Jason Lindberg wrote:

To: Webmaster

Hi there, long time Listary Pro customer/user (July 23, 2010 / order #7366908) and I realized after upgrading to Listary 4 that there is no way to export a CSV of a list which is the only reason I purchased pro. Can you tell me if I am just overlooking it?

Thank you,

Jason

Now, I am a patient person, but I am starting to feel taken advantage of as an early customer.

Here is how it looks to us:

• You had a feature that you charged a premium for in the form of Listary Pro.
  • You removed this feature.
  • You made no effort to communicate this to your paying customers.
  • You did not offer to refund customers who paid for the now missing feature.
  • It has been over a year and you have released many new features and still have not restored functionality that was paid for by loyal customers.

In terms of business ethics, this is highly suspect at best and bait and switch at worst.

I understand that software development can be hard, especially if you are the only developer… But I see that you are now gearing up to release version 5 and you have not kept your promise to your early customers and supporters.

Do the right thing and delay the next release if you must to restore what we paid for.

Hello Jason,

I’m really sorry that I did not realize the importance of this feature before, and I fully understand how you feel.

Please allow me to explain the situation a bit. This feature was never removed intentionally. Listary 4 was rewritten from scratch as a totally new app to provide better user experience and more functionalities. During the rewriting process and the following up development of Listary 4, I had to make a lot of choices: I can add this feature (it’s always on my to-do list with a fairly low priority), or implement some new features that would help much more users become more productive everyday. I believe you can understand that I chose the latter one.

Now I realize that this feature should have a higher priority. I’ll add it back before the next stable release.

Also, could you please give a few examples how you use this feature usually? There may be some room of improvement as it will be implemented as a complete new feature. Note that on Windows 7/8 it can only export file names (no other columns like size/date) due to technical limitations (the old versions of Listary behaved the same way).

Channing, thank you for your candid response.

I use the feature primarily in an application called “Service Manager 7” by HP. The client application is written on Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) which is on top of Java.

In this program we have a list of assets (servers) that can be hundreds of items long, but there is no way to copy the entire list at once. Instead we must click on each item, select all, copy, switch to a text editor and paste and move the mouse to the next field (no keyboard shortcut)… This is obviously a monumental UX design flaw by HP but they decided to carry the ‘feature’ forward in to the newest version (9.x).

Doing this 800 times is a bit unrealistic so this is where “Export List as CSV” comes in extremely handy. It turns something that takes over an hour of tedious labor in to a few seconds. After I discovered this, many of my co-workers were prompted to purchase licenses as well.

So for list boxes that are individual edit lines but many items/rows long, this is a life saver.

Thank you again for your response. I look forward to seeing the feature re-added.

I received an email from Channing indicating that he has already re-added the feature to the latest version! That was fast!

I tested the feature and it works perfectly, the tip he gave is also very helpful.

Hello Jason,

Please check the latest version of Listary: Download Listary for Free - File Search Tool and App Launcher

The old “Export to CSV” feature has been reimplemented. It now exports the list content to a .xlsx Excel file.

One tip that may be very useful for you:

1. Open Listary Options - Commands.
  2. Click the Add button, and then select “Export List Content to Excel”.
  3. Fill the “Keyword:” text field with something like “export”, click OK.

Now whenever you need to use the export feature, simply click the list, and then type “export” directly.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to contact with me.

Thank you for listening to my feedback and taking such decisive action!

-Jason