Listary just when needed?

Hello,

I bought Listary Prof. just because everybody says it’s so good, but without trying the free version first. Now I see a problem. I just wanted Listary in order go better get to files and folders not immediately available, but whenever I’m within one of my regular file managers, within the right folder that I know the wanted file is in, I don’t want Listary to pop up its special selection window, by pressing the very first character of the file name in question, but I just want my regular file manager to redirect focus to the very first entry in this current folder, beginning with that character.

Meaning, I don’t want Listary to intervene, by just typing a character, but when I really need it. Is this possible? In the settings, I did not see this. This happens with several different file managers. Is there a way to explicitly take them out of the list of Listary’s programs where it pops up automatically?

I found the “delete Listary for this application” thing, but now, even if I press the key for getting to Listary there, I do not get the Listary list within this application, so it’s All or Nothing? Or is there a trick by which I can have the Listary list on spot, for a given application, even when I had excluded it for automatically showing up there?

Also, since I don’t get the list there anymore, I can’t even re-include it!

Meaning, I get the sub-menu “Commands”, by the “Show Listary” hotkey, but then, there is no “re-include this application into Listary popup” entry there? Do I have to re-install Listary?

Meaning, I get the sub-menu “Commands”, by the “Show Listary” hotkey, but then, there is no “re-include this application into Listary popup” entry there? Do I have to re-install Listary?

Go to Listary Options - By Application, and delete all entries.

Meaning, I don’t want Listary to intervene, by just typing a character, but when I really need it. Is this possible? In the settings, I did not see this. This happens with several different file managers. Is there a way to explicitly take them out of the list of Listary’s programs where it pops up automatically?

Yes. Go to Listary Options - By Window Type, select your file manager from the list, and then uncheck “Find as you type”.

Ok, that was really dumb of me, or rather dumbness combined with laziness - I beg your pardon! Didn’t see, but didn’t check enough!

But the main problem persists: No problem now anymore with excluding and re-including, but the “Find as you type” setting works only for Windows Explorer, not for all the other file managers - I have to exclude them, and then I cannot have the Listary list window. Or I leave them in, and then, a simple character will trigger the Listary list window even when I don’t want it to appear.

Again, when in some file manager, normally, I do NOT want this window to appear, but I would have special command that would display it just once, with the full list then.

By the way, this “display the list just once, upon request”, could it not be triggered from everywhere?

In practice, I would exclude everything, but I would have a special key, let’s say Alt-Num7 or whatever I assign to it. Upon pressing this key, then I would (without even a dialog interfering, no need for visual clutter) enter 1 or 2 characters, immediately one after the other, and when there is no more such key pressing, for 150 milliseconds or so, the second part of the command would be executed: the Listary list for folders/files everywhere (thus without its very first part, the “in the folder” part) would be displayed - from within any application!

Would this be a good idea? And this would resolve the “Find as you type” problem in my file managers, too, since at this moment, it’s either find as you type, and unwanted Listary list even when I just want to get to “local” files within the current folder, or I don’t even get the Listary upon request, since the application is excluded in this “all or nothing way”.

This flexibility would be very helpful here! (Or did I overlook something again?)

but the “Find as you type” setting works only for Windows Explorer, not for all the other file managers

Could you please name these file managers?

Yes, I overlooked something. I left all those file managers CHECKED in this list. The very first there is WinExplorer. To the right of the list, there is “WinExplorer”, and “Find as you type”, and I unchecked this, and of course it did not work but for WinExplorer, i.e. for xplorer2, “Find as you type” worked as before - I overlooked the part on the right side changed together with my selection in the list!

So I tried to do it better, unchecked the setting “Find as you type” for xplorer2.

Now it behaves as expected, no availability of Listary list there anymore: It’s all or nothing. I also see the “click for making available Listary for this application” setting, but for xplorer2, it’s greyed-out, and this independently of my xplorer2 setting “full-row select” on or off, and I also closed down xplorer2 in-between, then re-opened it.

So it seems there is no way to have the above described list just when you want it to be displayed, either you check the “Find as you type” setting, and then the list is displayed even when you don’t want it to be displayed, or you uncheck the setting (or have the application excluded anyway), and then there is no way to get the list even if you want it to appear.

I suppose your “click with mouse in order to make Listary available here” setting works in some file managers, but not in others; as said, in xplorer2 it’s not available but greyed-out.

Btw, Listary even intervenes in file managers not being listed, e.g. in SpeedCommander. As said, a hotkey working everywhere and meaning “just show a list for the character(s) I now will enter fast” would be so helpful, making Listary available whenever you need it, and not its intervening everywhere, or then, its not being available at all there.

So it seems there is no way to have the above described list just when you want it to be displayed, either you check the “Find as you type” setting, and then the list is displayed even when you don’t want it to be displayed, or you uncheck the setting (or have the application excluded anyway), and then there is no way to get the list even if you want it to appear.

Yes, there is. Uncheck “Find as you type” first, and when you need Listary, simply press the hot key Win + S (you can change it to Alt-Num7 in Listary Options - Hotkeys).

I suppose your “click with mouse in order to make Listary available here” setting works in some file managers, but not in others; as said, in xplorer2 it’s not available but greyed-out.

Mouse middle-clicking always works.