Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2334)

Hey @Channing, happy new year!

A small idea: please allow an option to disable listary shortcuts on full screen apps (i.e. games).

Yes, I can add a setting for it.

1 Like

Hello Channing,

Iā€™m on Beta 5.00.2177 (portable) and have some questions/remarks after I intensively used Listary for quite a while. I have a license, but I think that does not much matter on the betaā€¦

Keywords:
I have added some Folder keywords which work like a charm. So when I type ā€œicxā€ I can jump quickly to that folder I have linked with the keyword ā€œicxā€. Similar with ā€œcmdaā€ (which I use most) and others liken ā€œoptā€ which opens the Listary options. Or even Custom, where I am using ā€œhostsā€ the most.
So what is it with Web? None of the (activated) keywords in Web seems to work for me. instead I always get ā€œNo items match your searchā€, or eventually a search result if it matches.
What can I check to figure out why the Web keywords not work?
I am using Vanilla Windows 7 with IE as default browser.

Search results:
Iā€™m still not happy with the way search results are presented to me. Listary should only show the folders and files I am really interested in. I think I mentioned that in an earlier post as well.

Example: I do have several folders with the word ā€œBIMOā€ in the name. I also have a lot of office files containing that word in the filename.
When I seach for ā€œBIMOā€ (I test from My Computer level) I get the following results:

Entry 1 (from top down) - Anyway, bimo.xml is interesting too, but I would not expect it at the first place.
Entry 2 - bimo.lnk in Recent Items in APPDATA does not really interest me. Why is it shown so early?
Entry 3+4 - are very okā€¦ that is what I was looking for.
Entry 5 - is strange again. opening the containing folder (the recycle bin) I only (manually) find a file called ā€œBIMO LAN 151211.pdfā€ But acting on the found entry directly with enter, I will get a pop-up like this:

Frankly, entry number 5 is not interesting for me
Entry 6+7 point to Thunderbird files that contain my emails related to BIMO. I am not intersted in this either.
Entry 8 is an interesting file. I might have searched for itā€¦ but it comes after all the other unneeded list entries??

A lot of .msf and .sbd files follow. Those are again Thunderbird internal files which are not interesting. Finally I find a bunch of .xlsx files and .docx filesā€¦ and again some foldersā€¦

I believe that Listary should do (an even) better job in presenting the right files to me. Those I am interested in.
As I mentioned earlier, what is interesting may vary. But there are for sure some kind of user profiles which could be appliedā€¦

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Web search is only enabled in the launcher mode of Listary. If you actives Listary in Explorer, press Ctrl*2 or the hotkey again to switch to launcher mode. If youā€™re not in Explorer, youā€™re in the launcher mode directly after activating Listary.

No worries, the optimizations havenā€™t been released yet. Based on your detailed explanations of the search result entries, Iā€™m confident that they can solve at least 90% of the issue.

I can confirm (like post #44 by fenixproductions) that using total commander on windows 10 and listary 5.00.2177 is not working ok, 4 version worked (no TC menus but at least quick switching worked). Total commander is completely ignored (TC 8.52ax64)

OK, Iā€™ll check it.

Just installed the beta for the first time today. Now Folder Marker (http://foldermarker.com/en/) is throwing error messages:

Thanks for any help.

Craig

Does Folder Marker work if you donā€™t start Listary 5? Iā€™m not sure if I can do something here as the latest version of Folder Marker was released on 2013 and it may not be fully compatible with Windows 10.

Please consider an option to limit the search result to current folder only. Even though the search is blazing fast, the result is too many that cost me a bit time to allocate the wanted one. Itā€™s slow down my productivity since I use this feature a lot.

An option to disable indexing system folders (like C:\Windows, C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\user\AppData, etc. and other hidden folders) is welcome too. I donā€™t think a normal user (like me :smile:) have the need to look into those folders.

Thanks a lot for a wonderful application.

Currently all results from the current folder are listed on top of the result list.

A similar feature is coming soon.

Any chance to bring back setup of amount of recent item display in Listary 5.x. I found old thread about lack od this function

I see thread above was abandoned about a year ago so I think, Iā€™m asking here.

For me, listary does launch when I click the hot key or start typing anything in an explorer window. But on clicking enter it does not go to the folder or open the file like it used to in version 4. But it works when Listary runs as admin.

Is this a known issue in 5 beta?

Yes. They will be added back as advanced options in a future version.

This is not a known issue. Please try to uninstall Listary 5, reboot, and then install it again.

ok Will try that and updateā€¦

I reinstalled and worked as usual for a whileā€¦ but again started showing same issue.
But when ā€œstart as adminā€ is checked it works with no issues.
Guess there is a conflict?
I am on Windows 10 Insider Build 14251.
Webroot as security app.

Seems to be a conflict. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it.

Yepā€¦ I also like to be able to browse a folder inside listaryā€¦

During ā€œembedded modeā€ would you consider an option that did not search outside of the current folder? Personally, when Iā€™m browsing inside a folder Iā€™ve selected that folder on purpose, and itā€™s just confusing to get contents for other foldersā€¦ I like the old idea of the ā€œ>ā€ or other keyword to begin searching the rest of the tree while in embedded modeā€¦