Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2334)

Yes, you’re right. It’s a new feature and I need to learn to integrate into my routine.
Still, the two points I was trying to make are kinda unanswered:

1. These two modes, no matter how I launch them use separate Input Language settings.
  2. All the Keywords setting types except Web (i.e. Folder, Command and Custom) can be accessed from the embedded mode, which can be accessed directly from the desktop, not only from with Windows Explorer or File Selection dialogs (and that’s a good and useful thing). That’s inconsistent. In fact, I don’t see why you’d need launcher mode and can’t just launch everything from embedded mode. You can already almost do that (Web Keywords are the exception).

OK, here is the detailed explanation:

1. The embedded mode of Listary doesn’t grab input focus, so in fact you’ve changed the input method setting of the host application (e.g. Explorer or Desktop) instead of Listary. But in the launcher mode Listary is activated and your input method change applies to Listary. You have insistent input method behavior because there are actually 2 different applications (the host application and Listary) here.

2. Here are the screenshots of typing the same query “word” in the embedded mode and the launcher mode:

You can see the big difference. Without these 2 modes, you’ll only get some document files contains “word” when you actually want to launch Microsoft Word or Wordpad, or you’ll get Microsoft Word and many other applications first when you need to find “word list.txt”. Web search is part of the launcher feature and is the same here.

I hope this is clear.

Two apps - that explains it. Still, it would be nice if you could keep Input Language synchronized between the two. I’m no Windows developer but it seems like there should be a way to do that:

Regarding you detail example: Totally my bad, I made some setting changes in Listary (namely, I excluded C:\ from the index) so the app launcher doesn’t pick up all those apps and completely didn’t consider that in my previous answers. Still, you can access/use all Keyword, except Web Keywords) from Embedded Mode. My original point is that I found the settings inconsistent because the Settings are grouped together but the usage was disjoint (they can be used in different places in the app - Web keywords only work in Launcher Mode where all the other keywords could be used in both Laucher and Embedded Mode.

Sure. I’ll test if this is possible.

Thank you!
And, again, sorry for the confusion earlier.

Probably not of great interest here, but it’s a bit of an odd one:
I use Tera Copy to copy files/folders between the PC and NAS. Tera Copy added a “TeraCopy…” entry to the context menu so I did the following:

1. Start typing the folder name till you see the match in embedded mode.
  2. Press right arrow to call the context menu.
  3. Type “tera” to quickly find that “TeraCopy…” entry.
  4. Hit Enter to launch TeraCopy.

But the TeraCopy window that launched was empty white instead of the usual interface. Moving the mouse around it looked like there’s something there, because the window title changed when I hovered over the invisible buttons.
I don’t know who’s at fault here, but there seems to be some bad interaction between the two apps.

Edit: So I tried to work-around this and use Copy&Paste, both are there in the context menu when you right click the folders. Copy is present in the actions menu, however Paste isn’t. There’s an option to “Copy to Current Folder” that I didn’t dare to try. It was unclear to me what would be copied.

With both 5.00.2134 and 5.00.2177 pressing CTRL twice does not show or hide Listary for me. :sleepy:
What could cause this?

How about adding in the next release a keyword that will launch this web thread? Say, “beta”, or “support” or something like that?
Just an idea.

It appears to be working just fine now in v5.00.2177.
I still don’t understand what “Copy to Current Folder” means. Copy what?

do it, you can configure it yourself!

I know I can do it. I’m suggesting it’ll be done once, by Channing, instead of everyone doing it themselves. That’ll promote the keywords feature, make it, hopefully, quicker for people to report feedback or find help.

It’s easier to delete/disable a keyword than add one.

1. Does it work within Explorer?
  2. Make sure the option is checked in Listary Options - Hotkeys.
  3. Try to press the 2 Ctrls a little faster maybe?

I’ll add a link to this forum first. Maybe also a “check for updates” keyword command.

Copy the file/folder you enter action mode against to the current folder you’re viewing in Explorer.

For example, you’re viewing “D:\Documents” in Explorer, you then search “photo.jpg” using Listary and enter Actions, “Copy to Current Folder” will copy “photo.jpg” to “D:\Documents”.

Gotcha! thanks.

1. No, it doesn’t work in Explorer.
  2. Already checked.
  3. Still not working.

Sometimes it seems to work after a reboot but after some time (maybe after a hibernation) it stops working.

On a file list (for example in Speedcommander or Windows Explorer) just typing some letters still shows these search results on the current list. Just the 2x Ctrl hotkey to show/hide Listary does not seem to work at all.

I changed the hotkey to show the Listary toolbar to Ctrl + Space and that works reliably here.

I’ve setup Listary to start with windows but not to run as administrator.
I turn off the PC every day, and since this last update whenever I start the computer I’m getting a UNC warning asking me if I allow Listary to make changes to my computer whenever I login.

This never happened until this latest update (v5.00.2177).

Thanks for the information. I’ll check it.

Reinstalling Listary should fix it.

Yup, that did the trick. Thank you!