Listary 5 Beta (5.00.2334)

Still working on it :wink:

Xyplorer Portable isnā€™t being recognized by Listary when typing for a match in the focused pane. Iā€™ve set Xyplorer to be the default file manager for windows and it is working in all other regards. Option to set the path of xyplorer in Listary perhaps if not recognized?

Thanks for your feedback. Please note that find-as-you-type only works with XYplorer Pro. I just tested it and can confirm that Listary works well with a clean XYplorer Pro portable version.

Have you made some changes to XYplorer settings? Changing the layout or disabling scripting support in XYplorer can affect Listary.

Never mind :slight_smile: Itā€™s not under the app settings menu, itā€™s under the general. I fixed it there. thanks!
Iā€™ve had some better luck, will provide feedback if it pops up again

Hi, is there any chance to get option for setup display of amount of recent item in near update?

This option will be added, but not in the near future Iā€™m afraid.

I understand that I can switch to Everything as a search engine instead of the Listaryā€™s default one from here.
However, I couldnā€™t find this option in Listary 5 Beta. Have I just missed it or is it not yet supported in 5 beta yet?
Also, when Everything is used, does Listary respect any of the settings from Everything main window (e.g. Match Case) or is it completely different set of configuration just using background service?
Thank you

Hi, Listary now uses its own disk search engine. Everything is no longer supported because calling Everything from an external application is very very ineffeicent; it can take seconds when you request thousands of search results.

Iā€™m a bit surprised to hear about seconds given that Everything is like the fastest app Iā€™ve ever seen ā€” in my >1mil file 3-drive index the search is instant both in a separate Everything window (Iā€™m typing slower than it searches :slight_smile: ) as well as when I use external interface in a Wox app Iā€™m also testing out.
I was just trying to cut down on the memory use for duplicate scan databases. I need Everything for the advanced options that I can use in itā€™s search interface, which are rather helpful sometimes (so I canā€™t just rely on Listary for file search). Though the memory footprint is small enough for it not to matter much.

The bottleneck is the interprocess communication between Everything and the external application, not Everything itself. Wox only requests 100 search results from Everything so the delay is hardly noticeable. But if you need to request more results (for example, you may want to get all the results of a query from Everything to sort them on your own), youā€™ll have a lot of trouble.

only requests 100 search results

Which would seem fine for a launcher, except

to sort them on your own

yeah, this, I admit, is the use case where you do need everything :wink:
But how do you do that in Listary? Couldnā€™t find an option to sort by e.g. size in search results (I understand that maybe you were talking just about internal sorting, so it might not be a feature yet)

Listary sorts results based on relevance and your previous launch history. Soon youā€™ll also be able to manually configure what file extensions and files in which folders are important to you. Sort by size/date is not supported in the current version.

1 Like

based on relevance and your previous launch history

Does this require ā€œall the results of a query from Everything to sort them on your ownā€? If not, Iā€™d kindly ask to reconsider and add back the option to replace default search service with Everything.
Currently, Listary is my ~4th largest memory consuming process (if you count Chrome tabs as one) and compared to the size of 3rd largest (Everything ;)) my guess is that a big part of it is file index, so reducing duplicate index seems like an easy win.

Unfortunately most Listary features do require to get an overview of all the search results. Itā€™s no longer possible to add Everything support back :disappointed:

Ok, understood. Thank you for clarification.

You should give KeyPirinha a try. I used WOX for a while before moving on to KP. Really promising new launcher imo.

Would you please describe its advantages over Wox?
Update: The big downer for me is this attitude of its developer: ā€œI do not care much about its adoption by the massesā€.

Consider some ranking based on results like Find and Run Robot and the search would be much better. For instance, I boost lnk and exe files +100 points and they show up first in results. I think that the power of listary combined with some better ranking based on last access, preferred file types, etc would really help. I can go into more detail if you wish. Just a thought as I still find I have to switch back to find and run robot to get ā€œsmart resultsā€ while Listary gives me instant, but too much.

I donā€™t know why would that be a problem. The developer has been really receptive towards feedback and implementing user suggestions (if they made sense) which really shows the opposite of what that statement might imply on first read.

If I had to discern the reasons for that statement, although I do think thatā€™s unnecessary given what Iā€™ve seen from the developer while following the project since its inception, I guess the attitude is a result of the fact that it started as a personal project and he later decided to make it available to the public. He might not feel like actively seeking to expand its userbase and is not really concerned with promoting it.

Looking at it objectively, I have found the much needed launchy replacement that Iā€™ve been looking for for ages. An extremely fast launcher that works as ā€œexpectedā€, that is customizable and fast (just like launchy is/was). The fact that it has an extremely high customization potential (through extensions) and a developer who is open to feedback, makes it even better. As a sidenote, one of the main reasons I used and dismissed Wox pretty quickly was its mediocre responsiveness, performance and stability.

I say give it a fair chance through actual usage, fiddling with settings and reading the documentation. In my view it already is the best launcher (for my needs) but it also has a lot of potential on top of that.

Well, there are a few potential issues with this statement:

1. Low user base means fewer addons. In fact, I havenā€™t found a single extra addon for it (do you know any extra?). While Wox has a centralized repo and installation is a simple ā€œwpm install Xā€ or something
  2. It increases the risk the project development will stop
  3. Lack of focus on the user base increases the chances the developer will be less responsive to feature suggestions

It just takes a while to set up a launcher the way you like, so a bit hesitant. Also, while I love the fact that user configs are file-based (I enjoy Sublime Text because of this), Iā€™m not a fan of them being only file-based (Wox is more user-friendly her). That also adds to the setup time. Thatā€™s why I wanted to get some more input from your experience.
But I agree, Wox is a bit sluggish and unstable and that bothers me, so high responsiveness is an attractive feature. I guess will give it a spin and see who comes out first :slight_smile:
Thanks
Still nothing beats Listary in at least one killer feature ā€” ability to sync those stupid open dialogues (especially the tree kind where you canā€™t copy&paste path from file manager)! Plus the search-as-you-type in file managers is nifty.